dLive in studio

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive General Discussions dLive in studio

This topic contains 15 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 7 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Is anyone using or contemplating this yet?
    Is dLive a feasable scenario for studio use?

I had hands on demo and was just stunned by the quality and performence of this desk.
    Gosh it has me really thinking!

Any comments very welcome.

Profile photo of cheu78
    cheu78
    Participant

I was thinking about it as well..I’d buy it immediately!!
    On top of my head you will need few software options/updates like:
    – a control room fader and a temporary mono button for it or also a mono control room fader as well.
    – transport controls, probably the easiest way is to put them on the soft buttons.
    (although the studio version could have the few transport control plus a wheel, like in the avid S6).
    – Being able to use the surface only, I mean all the processing is in the stagebox and I don’t need 32 inputs in the studio (or most people won’t need them), but might need more outputs (for an eventual analog summing or analog processing).
    So maybe a special studio version stagebox with 8 inputs and 16 or 32 outs..but for most people will suffice the 8×8 I/O present on the surface.. Just needs to be able to put the processing in a box without so many inputs.

I hope this helps,

Cheu

Profile photo of aisle-6
    aisle-6
    Participant

I just finished a tour on the d-live and we recorded each night through Dante. The resulting tones from the head amps were really great and definitely studio quality.

Profile photo of Yannoush
    Yannoush
    Participant

Hello guy
    I use my DLive in studio for more than 6 month now. Waouh great mixer
    I use to mix all the concert we record in live from small jazz band to 120 mic symphonique orchestra.

Avantage :
    x all include surface
    x be able to manage all the different protocol from different user at the same time ( DANTE, Ethersound , madi ,waves)
    x be able to add plug in without latency trouble using Waves card and soundgrid server.
    x a compact desk with all the control under you finger
    x 96kHz
    x efficient internal treatment and preamp quality
    x User key used to swith easily between different kind of monitor size.
    x Digital output possible for monitor what is wonderfull with a Genelec SAM calibrated system
    x Swith to smoth light ….peace in the studio No noisy fan! compare to my old ilive modular surface ( alerady more quiet when use with external PSU…)

regrets
    xxx waiting to much for software editor/ controler and iPad mix control as Qu series
    xxx 5.1
    xxx new preamp emulation….

But sometime I prefer wait really efficient and reliable feature than buggy software….

DLive a really good choice for live music recording / live mixing/ and studio remixing.

Régilive Paris

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Im curious to know if the 8 preamps in the rear of the surface are processed within the surface itself?
    Also can the surface be used as a control direct into a computer using any one of the slot in cards?
    It might seem a bit of a newbie question.

Thanks
    NZdave

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Dave,

The Surface is really a controller for the MixRack. It would not fully boot up without a connected dLive MixRack. Local audio, be it analogue or from the I/O Ports, is sent to the MixRack where all the processing and mix happens.

Profile photo of Yannoush
    Yannoush
    Participant

Hello Nicolas
    Why not À DM16 with Only one slot for Dante or other protocols for Split Foh monitor…? should be also a spare heart …if …alway have a spare…!
    From my iPhone

Profile photo of cheu78
    cheu78
    Participant

Would be great to have a mixrack for the dLive that is more studio oriented: maybe modular so everybody could get the I/O needed without buying (and paying) 32 channels of preamps that are not needed in a studio. Surface is the same, just put the “brain” in an external mixrack with less inputs (or none) and eventually more outputs for external summing (if somebody would like to go that route at least it could).
    Like a modular (empty) 4 slot expander with the mix engine built in. So one could also only use the I/O on the surface connected to the smaller (and probably a bit cheaper) mixrack. And could decide if getting 32 channels of analog outs or everything in between, plus the 8 I/O on the surface..
    Pretty cool imho

I hope this helps,

howdy

Cheu

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Hello. Sorry is this seems a noob question…

Is the Dlive configurable to be inline
    . I appreciate the system has a lot of channels to utilise.

AFter switching out my GSR24m for a short while and using the QU32 I’m looking for/at other scenarios and wondering if the DLive is capable of the ‘inline’ capabilties
    The QU is: Either/OR [USB/Local] and so punch in out etc becomes interesting as you have to use other channels to drive the recording software.

Thank you in advance.

NZdave

Profile photo of Michael
    Michael
    Participant

Hi Dave,

If I understand your question correctly, you’re looking to be able to record audio from a channel strip to a track, and also playback/monitor that recorded/recording track back from that same channel strip?

The dLive is quite flexible. While I don’t know that it can do exactly what you’re asking, it can probably get quite close. Assuming a Dante-style multitrack setup, you could set up adjacent faders to be:

1 – Channel 1 Input (with tieline/direct out to Dante channel 1)
    2 – Track 1 Return (return from Dante channel 1)
    3 – Channel 2 Input (with tieline/direct out to Dante channel 2)
    4 – Track 2 Return (return from Dante channel 2)
    etc….

Bus your inputs to one mix and use that for monitoring your inputs. Bus your returns to a different mix. Or just PFL as you like and mix and match.

The dLive has very high channel counts, so bussing inputs to groups to tracks isn’t necessary from a channel count perspective.

(On direct outs vs. tielines: we use our dlive in a live application and use the direct outs for our ME-1 IEM system with a post-eq pick-off point. So we record to Dante using the dLive’s tielines, which are DSP-less and immediately post-pre-amp, and therefore great for recording raw, unprocessed audio for virtual soundcheck. Your application may be different, but the dLive allows you choice.)

The patchbay lets you be very flexible in routing sources. Perhaps others may have more creative solutions for emulating an inline mixer.

Profile photo of Michael
    Michael
    Participant

Thinking about this some more, you may also be able to use the “Ext In” feature of the channel strip. If your DAW doesn’t monitor each channel live, you could set the relevant monitor return path to the “Ext In” on each input channel, which would sum it with the recording input. You wouldn’t have independent control of each path though, but this could let you switch between recording and playback modes.

If the monitor path and recording path will never pass the same audio at the same time, this could work. If, however, your DAW monitors the audio live as it is recording and passes that back to the “Ext In”, than this would instead be a recipe for instant feedback.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Thanks for replying Michael
    I will have to look into the routing structure that you talk about on both of those posts.
    I am not totally fluent with the ins/outs’ and also mix rack.
    I’ll be back with some questions.
    I need to study and find some examples of block diagrams

NZdave

Profile photo of Michael
    Michael
    Participant

No problem! One caveat to note is that “Ext In” is only available on mixes (groups, FX, auxes, matrices, main mix, etc), not on input channels.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I did look at various pdf’s
    I couldn’t find exact examples of setups.
    I did see the Ext-ins’ you were talking about.
    I will have to physically go and have a look at a Dlive again.
    So a few questions:
    I notice this pic there seems to be a mouse plugged into the dLive?
    Is that an illusion or?
    Also in a recording/tracking scenario, is it possible to record and then play back directly from a hard-drive, negating the requirement for an external computer. Of course with out the editing that you would so within outboard software?

Thanks Michael

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

You can attach mouse if that seems to be more convenient, I guess it will work for right screen (maybe I’m wrong).
    DLive does not support track recording directly to media as QU does. It can record 2 channel WAV file in 96kHz/24bit resolution from any bus or combination of busses.

ddff

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.