dLive Director and Surface/iPad battery life

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive General Discussions dLive Director and Surface/iPad battery life

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of mixJM mixJM 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Steve
    Steve
    Participant

I mix a large number of corporate and small events from my Surface Pro, and I’m shocked by how quickly dLive Director kills the battery on the Surface Pro. I now have to take three Surface Pros to each event so that I have enough spares to cover gigs.

In comparison to running an iPad with a Behringer X32, the dLive with Surface Pro loses big time. Same wireless system, same venue – the iPad/X32 will run for 2-3 hours and use 11-12% of its battery life. The Surface Pro/dLive will drop from 100% to 20% battery life within 1.5 hours, and will run extremely warm the entire time.

A&H may want to look into making the dLive Director run a little more efficiently on the Surface Pro. It’s alarming how quickly the Surface Pro gets warm when running dLive Director.

Profile photo of Steve
    Steve
    Participant

(trying this again…)

I should also add… I thought the issue may have been related to one of my Surface Pros.

But…

I’ve tried “rotating” (using) my other Surface Pros, and they all experience the fast battery drain/warm case when using dLive Director. And, confirming that it’s not the Surface Pro – if I run X32 Edit on the Surface Pro and connect to the X32, the Surface Pro stays nice and cool and battery life is much improved.

Profile photo of Wolfgang
    Wolfgang
    Participant

i have an old Macbook Pro (late2009), the Director is running on it, but the computer gets so hot that i have to cool it with external fans.

on my much newer Lenovo Yoga, the Director runs fast and i don’t have the impression that it’s getting very warm.

By the way, I don’t use battery operation in live mode. That’s why I can’t say anything about battery consumption.

Profile photo of Art
    Art
    Participant

I have the same problem with dLive Director on my Surface Pro, too. I have to keep it plugged in to get through a gig with it. It must be very I/O intensive.

Profile photo of mixJM
    mixJM
    Participant

It seems Director isn’t to well optimised and has some CPU power / memory leaks that drain a lot of energy. My Macbook Pro runs super hot when running Director. Hotter than any other app, including audio and video editing CPU hungry software. There’s a lot to improve here.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.