dLive c3500 and SQ7 connection

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive General Discussions dLive c3500 and SQ7 connection

This topic contains 14 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Jens-Droessler Jens-Droessler 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Shawn
    Shawn
    Participant

I have a C3500/CDM64 system for FOH use. I would like to know how an SQ7 would interact with my current system. The need is for the SQ7 to do a separate mix for our video broadcasts. We are currently using a setup where the C3500 has a FOH role and dLive Director has a “Video” role (essential a separate monitor role). The software interface, even with a touch screen is very klunky so we are looking at adding the SQ7. Will this require a Dante card to be added to the CDM? Will I be able to have roles or will the SQ7 just share the inputs needed and if so, how do I set it up to function this way? I know the SQ documentation refers to this (connecting to dLive) but I haven’t seen where it provides guidance for exactly how to do so. Any help would be much appreciated. I do not have a SQ7 available to setup yet. It is being considered for purchase. Thanks in advance.

Profile photo of Jens-Droessler
    Jens-Droessler
    Participant

You can do this by adding a GigaACE card to the CDM and using the SLink port on the SQ, or by adding a Dante card to the CDM and another one to the SQ. Dante would open up the flexibility to interface additional components on the run, like amplifiers, wireless systems and so on. Both will act as a split. There is no role for that in either of the systems.

Profile photo of Shawn
    Shawn
    Participant

Thanks so much for the prompt reply and info. From what I understand, the GigaACE card could also be placed in the C3500 and function in the same manner?

An additional question – can I use the second GigaACE port to connect to a DAW for recording purposes? Thanks again for your help.

Jens-Droessler
    Participant

AFAIK you could place the GigaACE card in the C3500, but all “audio traffic” on the net would need to go from the mixrack to the surface and then go on to the SQ. So if anything happens to the C3500 to mixrack connection, you’ll be out of the SQ sound also.

No, GigaACE is not usable to record on a computer. That’s where Dante would be better. But it will also be more expensive, because SLink usable with GigaACE is already integrated on SQ while Dante for the SQ will be an additional buy.

Profile photo of Shawn
    Shawn
    Participant

Thanks again for the info and the recommendations. I feel a lot better about how I want to go about setting things up.

Jens-Droessler
    Participant

Another recommendation from me: Use the gain compensated direct outs of the dLive input channels to route to the SQ (doesn’t matter if Dante or GigaACE). That way, fiddling with the channel gain on dLive won’t change the signal on the SQ.

Profile photo of Shawn
    Shawn
    Participant

Yes…good advice there. Nice to get a strong signal going to the other board. That should be a benefit for recording off of the SQ7. I’ve been working with Pro Tools and Avid for a long time and things are pretty well set there for recording. I’m having to think a bit about things with the Allen and Heath setup. Many thanks again.

On the feed to the SQ7, would the normal setup be to use the Tie Lines in the I/O section on the C3500? If not, what is the best routing?

Profile photo of Art
    Art
    Participant

I think I recall reading somewhere that the SQ could only connect to a Giga Ace card in the Mixrack. Here’s the documentation on the possible SQ connections.

https://www.allen-heath.com/media/SQ5_SLinkConnections_V1_2_0.pdf

Profile photo of Shawn
    Shawn
    Participant

Yes…the implication from the diagram shows that it is/can only be hooked up to a CDM. I’ll try it on the C3500 when the time comes. I’m also at the point of moving gear from FOH locations to permanent install locations so I’ll test things before I make the moves and see what works where. Thanks again for the help. It is very much appreciated.

Jens-Droessler
    Participant

As far as I know it should work with the card in the surface too. Otherwise there’d be no sense in putting a GigaACE card into a surface at all. But you can’t use such a card in the surface to connect to the mix rack!

Profile photo of Shawn
    Shawn
    Participant

I’ll certainly give it a try in the C3500 to see what happens. Thanks for the info.

Profile photo of Ethan
    Ethan
    Participant

We’ll be doing something similar with our C3500, connecting to an SQ6 via a gigaAce card in a CDM48 mixrack. The C3500 connects to the CDM48 via the built-in gigaAce ports, and the link carries audio, control and metadata. This is how channel names are conveyed to the ME-1’s. I’m waiting for a gigaAce card for the mixrack to arrive. I’m told that the benefit of a separate gigaAce link from the mixrack to the SQ is that audio, control and metadata are conveyed to the SQ. Dante only carries audio – no metadata. So long as we only tie 48 or fewer audio channels into the SQ via the gigaAce card in the mixrack, this should convey the scribble strip metadata info from the C3500 over to the SQ. We’re getting a Dante card for the C3500 to export audio only to several other SQ’s, so a Dante card in the SQ would also work – but would carry audio only. Will let you know how it works!

Jens-Droessler
    Participant

Comtrol is certianly not conveyed from dLive mixrack to SQ mixers. And since physical inputs have no name (only DAP channels have names) I couldn’t even think of a way for the SQ to get dLive channel names…

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Just to clarify, Jens is right:
    You can connect an SQ to a gigaACE card in a dLive Surface, if that’s preferable.
    There is no control or metadata benefit in using gigaACE over Dante to connect a dLive and an SQ.

Jens-Droessler
    Participant

Oh well. It should read DSP channels, not DAP channels. And “certainly”. Can’t edit anymore…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.