Disable Digital Output Channels Individually

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu feature suggestions Disable Digital Output Channels Individually

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of mamerica mamerica 10 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of mamerica
    mamerica
    Participant

I know most of the feature requests on this thread are pretty user specific and mine is no exception. This is a wishlist right?

I wish there was a way to turn off individual channel sends on the multi-track output stream and here’s why:
    I work at music festivals mostly and there are eight to ten acts per day.
    I need a way to make a stereo recording, burn it to a CD and hand it to the performer while setting up the next act. A program like Audacity would work great but it latches onto the first two channels it “sees” (Channels 1 and 2). If I could turn everything off except the stereo mains, it would work.

I know I can record just stereo to an external drive, unplug the drive, plug it into the computer, copy the files, etc but it takes a while for the board to re-sync with the drive and remember, I’m getting ready for the next act.

If anyone knows of a different way to do this, I welcome your suggestions. A stereo recording program (For OS X) that allows you to select the input is really all I need but I haven’t been able to find one yet.

As I said, I welcome any suggestions.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Seems to me the easier thing for you to do would be to get a CD recorder. Hook it to the AES or SPDIF output socket and just record the LR to that. Finalize and hand it to the client. Lot less hassle. I have been doing that since the days of cassettes. Well, even reel to reel come to think of it. Of course you know how risky that can be I hope. Most of the time a live recording does not reflect what you were hearing and mixing based on stage volume etc. Client will judge you by that. Sometimes ok and sometimes not.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

I don’t have the desk here, so I can’t test this and could be talking rubbish!

But I think, if you use your computer’s “Audio MIDI Setup” app to create a new “Aggregate Device” you should be able to choose any input you want. You then get Audacity to use that aggregate device.

mamerica
    Participant

Using an Aggregate Device is an interesting idea. I don’t have much experience with OS X. I don’t have the mixer here so I cannot try it. That would be an elegant solution. Has anyone tried this?
    Thank You!

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

V1.3 (to be released soon) will give you patchable USB outputs so you can set USB out 1-2 to be your Main LR.
    In the meantime any other DAW should give you input source selection for your tracks. Try Reaper.

mamerica
    Participant

Thank you Nicola!
    Yes I tried Reaper. It works well. I won’t really need it until later in the year. I’ll wait for the update.

Thank you for the timely response!

Regards,
    -Marty

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.