Director and MIDI

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive General Discussions Director and MIDI

This topic contains 28 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Eric LeClair Eric LeClair 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author

Mr. X – Are you certain you’re seeing midi messages to/from director and not the console? (Ie is director connected to console while you’re testing this?) Unless I’m mistaken, director only serves as GUI interface, midi messages are only generated by the console itself. (Pan, for instance, wouldn’t work w/ director.)

Jens – If you have access to Reaper and/or Midi Translator Pro, maybe try mapping this message to a reaper fader/controller fader:

B0 63 00 62 17 06 00

That Last, “00,” represents the value for current fader position. dLive spits that out in hex [00-7F.] Your controller/DAW probably needs something different (like float;) and if so, you’ll need to make sure to provide a substitution value for that incoming value. (Which is why you may need Midi Translator Pro, I’m not certain you can do that substitution natively in Reaper.)

I meant to add: That message is the string for dLive Channel 1 fader. If midi is working, you should see in your midi monitor *that* string when you move fader 1/fader 1 should respond to that string.

Profile photo of Jens-Droessler
    Jens-Droessler
    Participant

Mr X: Well, if I use ANY software that can access MIDI ports of the system, Bomes MIDI translator for example, I only see the two output ports that are always there under Windows, Microsoft MIDI mapper and Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth.

ThatComplicatedMidiGuy: Since there is no MIDI port to receive messages from or send to, there is no way to do that.

Ohhh, right.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

That sounds… endlessly frustrating.

Are there any weird things going on in device manager? Do you have to run it “as administrator?” Do you have any spyware/antivirus software running? A quick forum troll indicates those may potentially cause an issue.

It’s odd to me that it worked fine for Mr. X, but not for you. What versions of windows are you guys using?

Jens-Droessler
    Participant

I’m using Windows 10 professional. Only Windows Defender is running. No errors or notifications in device manager. All seems well, except… what I said.

I’ll try it on another PC on monday.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Just firing up DAW control creates the virtual MIDI port. You saw the screenshot. Yes, it Director is definitely sending MIDI messages from the software. I don’t even have a piece of A&H gear, so it’s definitely not connected to any! 😉

I’d send you a video of how it works, but I’m traveling at the moment. I’m on Win7 but when I’m back home I can try it on Win10 too. I imagine it will work there too as long as Director does.

However, Director does not seem to respond to any MIDI messages, so controlling it offline as was the desire doesn’t seem to be possible.

Profile photo of RS
    RS
    Participant

Got word from support, that DAW Control 1.6 (released today) will sort the auto-reconnect problem on windows. No release notes, though….

Jens-Droessler
    Participant

I tried it with DAW control 1.6 and now there is a port. In fact, there are four ports for input and output each. I can receive MIDI data from director but it really seems Director isn’t reacting to MIDI input…

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Ok, so it’s confirmed. Director sends MIDI messages but doesn’t respond to them.

I guess I’m just not sure why you’re expecting *director* to respond to midi. Director’s only real job is interfacing with the console. It is interesting that it spits out midi. However, midi response, in this context, *should* be coming from the console, not director.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I wasn’t expecting either. Just reporting on what I’ve found.

Jens-Droessler
    Participant

I “expect” this to work with Director so people can try out remote stuff without the need of the mixrack. A laptop is much easier to carry home and work there on things.

Profile photo of Eric LeClair
    Eric LeClair
    Participant

@rs- Thx for the update – Definitely looking forward to it. MIDI and music making go hand in hand these days. It should always be the most flexible component around.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.