Digital Snake Recommendations

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD general discussions Digital Snake Recommendations

This topic contains 13 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of robbocurry robbocurry 9 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of robbocurry
    robbocurry
    Participant

Hi folks,
    I know this is the GLD portion of the site but since the GLD has been around a little longer than the QU, there might be more people with the info I need;)
    I’m looking for a 50m snake to connect my QU24 to my soon to arrive AR2412. Your recommendations and personal experience regarding quality and reliability would be a great help:)
    Thanks in anticipation!
    Rob

Profile photo of dcongdon
    dcongdon
    Participant

We have been very happy with Rapco DURACAT-xNN cables. We have several 300ft duraCat with ethercon connectors on Hannay reels. Great price, very flexible, and so far very durable.

Daniel

Profile photo of BobWitte
    BobWitte
    Participant

We had issues with the A&H 120 meter cables. I shortened them by 100 feet and they worked great. so the 80 Meter ones would be fine.

We also used Duracat for a situation where the cable stayed installed and it worked great also.

The ProSoundWeb has some info too:

BobWitte
    Participant

Hmm here is the link. I must of done something wrong in my last message:

https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,145484.0.html

Profile photo of Eddy_current
    Eddy_current
    Participant

I have been using 80m of Van Damme Tourcat CAT 5e flexible stranded cable with no problems on my GLD and QU-16 with AR2412. I got the cable from CPC (100m for £133 ish) along with some Ethercon connectors and a cheap reel from Amazon.

Dave.

robbocurry
    Participant

Thanks for the info so far guys:)
    I’ve been soldering and making leads for over 30yrs now but I’ve never made up a cable like this. I hadn’t actually thought about making my own, I’d need to buy an ethercon and check some online stuff regarding the shielding etc.
    Tbh I gawped at the prices of some of the cables, I can’t justify (in my head) a cat5 cable the price of a mixer!!

Profile photo of Detonator
    Detonator
    Participant

Robbocurry –

Something like this…

https://www.ebay.com/itm/like/290723483314?lpid=82

robbocurry
    Participant

Thanks guys for your advice:)
    I’ve been reading about various stranded cables giving problems over 75m, so I emailed this seller asking for a 60m setup and this is what he’s offering – looks good to me at £144 delivered:)
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111304177957

BTW Detonator, I have one of those kits already for a Cat5/HDMI interface I never got around to building!

BobWitte
    Participant

Putting on an Ethercon with shielded cable and stranded conductors has been a bit of a challenge for me at first (and still is). Getting those wires in the correct area for the crimp is tricky. Takes patience. The shielded cable with stranded wire makes it a bigger challenge then solid wire…

Anyways, the first one was a mess but worked. The second one I made looks great. I will redo my first one someday soon.

Proper tools are cheap and easy to work with.

robbocurry
    Participant

That was a good link you listed Bob, I spent a few hours trawling it instead of working, playing catchup now:/
    I’ll probably make up a few shorter leads myself, it would be good practice in case I need a spare or repair at a gig!
    I’d assumed the stranded cables were the best option as they’d be more resilient to handling. Having read all that I have, they seem to be the second choice to solid cores. I guess I’ll have to take the plunge on one or the other……

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Great reading, thanks! I have only just moved into using cat cable instead of those huge analogue multi scenario’s.
    I recently used 3 QU desks and simply bought 3 x 50 lengths of Cat6. Taped them together as a temporary means.
    So do I need to be careful about anything here as these cat 6 cables are from the local electronic store..? Any advice would be very helpful. They are stranded…
    Thanks. I hope to hear from you.

davyd

Profile photo of bob274
    bob274
    Participant

For our digital snake I bought a Cat6a shielded STP cable from Monoprice. 100ft for $28. Then I bought some Neutrik Ethercon ends (for preassembled cables) for a few bucks. Carefully cut off the rubber boots from the cable and installed the ends. Whala! Fully shielded Ethercon cable, 100ft for about $40. Better quality than most others.

Profile photo of ahjeff
    ahjeff

The best RJ45 plugs I’ve used for making my own cables are these ones:

https://uk.farnell.com/hrs-hirose/tm11ap-88p-61/connector-modular-rj45-plug-8p8c/dp/2300426

They are used on a lot of the pre-made EtherCon reels you can buy. One issue with them is that you can’t crimp them in the normal way; you need either the Hirose tool (expensive), or you can use a normal tool backwards (insert the assembly from the other side, which might require modification of the tool).

Cheers

– Jeff, A&H

robbocurry
    Participant

Thanks for the link Jeff, will get some ordered now;)
    In the interim I bought an empty cable drum from CPC and a 30m VanDamme Tourcat STP cable for £60 delivered from here:
    https://www.surebuyz.com/CustomleadZ/LDZ-0075.html

I didn’t want to spend too much until I got a chance to try Tourcat for myself. I used it Tuesday and Wednesday night for the first time and it worked perfectly. The cable drum from CPC is just ok, it was cheap enough but a bit stiff. CPC displayed a black reel but sent me a yellow one, maybe for health and safety reasons for low light visibility;)

Might buy some Cat6 cable like Bob has suggested for a cheap and cheerful backup.
    If I get a 60m cable I think I’ll be covered for all eventualities, the source and type still to be determined.

Once again, thanks for your help and suggestions guys:)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.