Digital noise when streaming audio via USB-B.

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Digital noise when streaming audio via USB-B.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 338 replies, has 89 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of MarksLiveMusic MarksLiveMusic 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 339 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of ftmusic
    ftmusic
    Participant

Hello all, I’ve just found a workaround that worked for me. My issue was Qu-24 noisy USB playback streaming from Cubase 5.5 running on Mac OS X (10.6.8), Mac Pro 1.1. I’ve been using Qu-24 for 5 years and the problem started only some months ago, possibly when I updated the Qu-24 firmware. Some days ago I just updated from 1.9 to version 1.95 (the last version) and I noticed a worse USB playback problem. So I thought: let’s try to downgrade to version 1.6 (to go back enough). The problem disappeared. No more noise. I hope this can help the community and Allen & Heat.

Federico

Profile photo of sheltrdog
    sheltrdog
    Participant

Long time A&H user here.

Why are these boards still on the market without a note about the usb issue?
    I bought a new workstation last year to run my QU16 and daw, and well, anyone reading this thread knows I got about $4,500 in bricks here.

I started looking for refurbished usb 2 computers, but that seems a bit like committing to the stone age when paired with a modern daw for music and video production (Reaper).

So, all things considered, I’m keeping my computer and looking for a new board.
    Any suggestions that sound as good as the QU while being stable with usb 3?

Thanks.

Profile photo of Frank
    Frank
    Participant

I have bought a used Lenovo Thinkpad TP410 for this, working with Cubase as DAW.
    But if you want to change the mixer… take a Midas M32R for example. No problems with USB, perfect sound and possibilities. This will be my next mixer, when the ThinkPad will die one day..

sheltrdog
    Participant

Thank you Frank.

I have followed your previous posts in various threads about the T410.
    This inspired me to buy an older dell 4600 off of ebay but it arrived with the two usb 2 ports busted. Only the usb 3 ports were intact. O, the irony.

I returned it and I’m looking at another m4600 or maybe a Lenovo W520 which has usb 2 (and usb 3).

I am also looking at the various stage mixers similar in footprint to the Behringer XR18.

As a performing songwriter I need 8 quality mic inputs and effects but I’m shy of usb 2 now.

I love this QU-16, and the effects….I typically record to reaper on a laptop and then play back via usb, doing an old school mixdown on the QU-16 to the onboard usb drive.
    That’s the theory anyway, but the usb noise shuts this workflow down.

So, I’ll probably buy an older computer for usb 2 audio, and a new small footprint interface to use with my dell 7720 workstation…maybe thunderbolt.

I live in small town Alaska so selling / trading QU is problematic.
    My group is rehearsed and ready to record and I’m twiddling on ebay : )

Anyway,thanks for the input. Your advice is the quickest way to get rolling while researching future hardware.

Profile photo of Smokehead
    Smokehead
    Participant

I can confirm that. I switched to a Midas M32R after considering a PreSonus StudioLive III 16. But the Midas M32 is a good console with a big community as well as it isn’t the newest one with experimental features and a lot of bugs. It’s firmware can almost be considered as finished. I didn’t want any more surprises after firmware upgrades with “new features” breakimg the stability of others. I just want a good reliable mixing console with full duplex recording.

Cheers,
    Smokehead

sheltrdog
    Participant

yeah, the Midas was my alternate choice to the QU.

I chose the QU because I’m from analog days….liked the transitional footprint and twiddly nobs…

I’m in neck deep with digital already so maybe it’s time to get my hair wet with plugins and all that.

The smaller stage mixers promise a lot but I fear they may not be ready for ‘just works’ prime-time like I need here. The 32r seems a lot bigger than I really need but I may download the manual for some light reading before bed haha

Profile photo of Frank
    Frank
    Participant

The Midas is a bit more complicated than the Qu16, but offers also more routing possibilities. After getting used to the specialities, it is a fantastic board. I did download the Windows app to my pc for testing and training the functions of the Midas. There you can imitate nearly everything without to have a physical mixer.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

is this the right place to discuss this? I doubt that…

sheltrdog
    Participant

Steffen ,

Where should this be discussed? At point of sale reviews?

Any constructive solutions that will help me get back to studio work today with my QU-16?

A simple note to registered users would save countless hours and expense.
    No sense kicking my lame horse as I walk him a hundred miles to town I guess.
    Someone might see and feel uncomfortable.

At this point, the Midas MR18 seems the ticket for me.

Many thanks to all who gave advice and tried to figure this thing out.
    I wish my results and solutions were different.

Moving on to the MR18 manual.

Profile photo of Motul
    Motul
    Participant

sheltrdog, and you wondered Why is the MR18 on a given day much cheaper than the same QU-SB .. ??? Certainly – control under different tablets / OS, it is convenient, But – what sound quality do we have in the bottom line? Here is mine. An important point in our work.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I experience this issue quite often. I was hoping this was more to do with my old iMac than the Qu. Hopefully this gets resolved in a firmware update…

Profile photo of Tony
    Tony
    Participant

Hi
    We have this problem, major issue for us. We bought this desk to playback multitracks via usb DAW and cant do it because of the digital buzz.

Have had to buy a Connectivity Iconnect Audio 4 and play 4 tracks back through that(ios into audio interface) with old school analogue outputs.
    Not cool Allen and Heath, I thought of getting rid of it to upgrade to SQ6 buy now i find it has the same issues. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Not cool Allen and Heath, not cool

Tony

Profile photo of whatsoup
    whatsoup
    Participant

I am pleased to say, after owning the SQ-5 for a year, I have completely fixed my audio glitching problems.

Allen and Heath’s firmware fixed my playback problem, but I was still suffering from recording glitching, which pointed my PC’s setup.

After half a year of trying everything, I formatted my hard drive and put Windows 10 back on. Almost everything was fixed but.. I would get a single pop every minute or two.

My final fix: disabliing USB3 controller on the motherboard. I HAVE NO IDEA WHY I DIDN’T TRY THIS EARLIER. People have already said it’s a USB3 thing but I didn’t cross my mind.

Anyway, it’s over. It’s finally over. Good luck to anyone else.

Profile photo of whatsoup
    whatsoup
    Participant

I should also add chipset drivers, core parking and power options can make a big difference even on a well optimised machine

Also, I understand some of you may have real mixer issues and not just computer related ones like me.

If you haven’t already DISABLE USB3

Profile photo of Frank
    Frank
    Participant

Yes, some more user said also, that disabeling USB 3.0 in the bios will fix it. But the problem is…. not every bios has this option. My 1100.-€ 16GB RAM Lenovo ideapad doesn’t have it :-(. So no chance to fix it. Therefore I bought a used Lenovo Thinkpad TP 410 with ONLY USB 2.0 ports, put a SSD in it and made a very simple Win 7 installation with nothing unnecessary in it. And this works perfect. But I have to hope, that the year 2012 TP410 will live as long as the A&H QU 16. In the meantime I also changed to USB recording on a 32GB stick and after this I copy it into the DAW for editing. But this is no solution for playback tasks…

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 339 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.