Digital noise when streaming audio via USB-B.

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Digital noise when streaming audio via USB-B.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 338 replies, has 89 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of MarksLiveMusic MarksLiveMusic 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 339 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of saadatrent
    saadatrent
    Participant

hi
    I have same issues. Any help or advice is highly appreciated!
    iran attractions

Profile photo of Chris
    Chris
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I had this exact problem happen today….and I’m hoping I have a solution too, at least for me….

Owned a QU24 since August 2018…it started this tonight. Bit crusher style sound happen without warning on all playback. Turning off the desk or resetting audio drivers on the mac resolved but for maybe 10-15 mins but it would keep returning.

No changes to setup at all; I use a late 2013 iMac (8GB RAM, i5-4570R 2.7GHz CPU, running off a Kingston 480GB SSD) running El Capitan 10.11.6, Cubase Pro 9.5.41. DAW Control no others programs open other than running in the background. Same USB connection at the back of the mac as always.

I did notice that mac couldn’t connect to wi-fi though, so I turned it off and connected via ethernet port instead….it’s been 3 hours of solid mixing since and the noise hasn’t returned once. Hoping it’s a conflict between the QU USB driver and wi-fi. Odd it’s never ever happened before though…….

Profile photo of Frank
    Frank
    Participant

A&H always said,that you should disable WiFi functionality. But,that’s a pity, this doesn’t work for everybody… it is more a chipset problem. My distributor yesterday said, there are to many different USB chipsets on the market and some perhaps cheaper one’s have problems with this specific audiostream. So that could be the reason, that a driver update will not help alone. The fix hardware on the boards makes the problem. Perhaps that’s the reason, that other mixers don’t have this problems. Like for example Midas M32…

Profile photo of Chris
    Chris
    Participant

Well….I thought I’d share it anyways. Been on it 2 hours today so far too and no problems again.

I’ve never turned the wi-fi off ever until yesterday so why there solid months of usage and it would now suddenly do it is beyond me, but it has stopped now. I also wouldn’t class the USB chipset in an iMac as cheap though considering the price of the things…..

Profile photo of Frank
    Frank
    Participant

Also Mac’s have diferent USB-chipsets, and the price of Apple-products not only comes out of it parts, we pay also (a little bit?) for the name and the unique selling point. There are also Mac-user with distortion-problems with the A&H. I only repeated, what my distributor said. But really it is strange, that it never happens before for you, and now, it happend…. really noboy knows the true reason and a reliable solution for every system. But it must have to do with the used chipsets for the most user, because they have the problem all the time, like me… For me was the solution to buy an old (windows-) laptop with only USB 2.0 ports and I think this works for all people, who use such older laptops without USB 3 ports…

Profile photo of CarmeloP
    CarmeloP
    Participant

Oh no .. I was about to buy a Qu-24 to use it for multi track recording my modular rack into my DAW.
    After reading that issue … I’m speechless.
    Any update about this ? I won’t put like 2000 euros for something which doesn’t work properly 🙁
    Thank you

Profile photo of Frank
    Frank
    Participant

It depends, on what computer/laptop you have! You only have a good chance for proper working with computers, which have real USB 2.0 ports!!! Perhaps you have the chance to test it before buying! In your shop? Where do you live? I buyied a Lenovo Thinpad TP 410 for this at eBay and jazzed up with a SSD, because my 1100€ Lenovo Ideapad with 16 GB Ram does not work with the QU16 (only mixed USB 3 ports).
    Other possibility, I am sorry to say this, because I like my Allen&Heath Qu 16, is buying a 100% working solution with similar good preamps and valence: Midas M32R. You get possibility of 32 channels, very good preamps (Midas Pro series), very good faders, a lot of routing possibilities, effects and so on and so on… 2000-2500€. If I would have known this mixer before, and had known about the USB-problems of A&H, I would have bouhgt this mixer!

CarmeloP
    Participant

Thank you.
    I wanted to use this beauty to record my modular set up + other external synth but I do know now that I’ll have to forget the Qu-24 because my computer has USB 3.0. I’m just wondering if they are aware they’ll loose a lot of customer slowly because the digital area is here and if they don’t resolve this the other brand will get the big part of this business.

Profile photo of Frank
    Frank
    Participant

Yes, that’s true, they loose the customers, who want to use USB-recording and playback with up to time computers and DAW. I know already some people, who did change to Midas M32 or M32R and I am thinking about this also… just waiting to get it a little bit cheaper, because the will get a new version “Midas M32R Live” soon, so the “old” version will get falling prices perhaps. QU works fine for direct USB-recording to some USB-harddisks and sticks (list of compatible mediums), but not driectly to the DAW, when using USB 3.0 ports. I don’t think, that it will become solved, because it is a structural problem. Perhaps the future better will be LAN than USB?

CarmeloP
    Participant

Thank you Frank. I actually give up on the Qu-24. Sad decision but it looks like the M32R is awesome for the studio and without any issues.

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

Just wondering if anyone has tried one of those cheap usb over lan adapters that allow attaching usb devices through your lan. Maybe directly attaching it to your computers network port and the QU’s usb to the adapter. Or a cheap usb2 hub plugged into your computer’s usb3 port that has the noise when directly connected to the QU?

Profile photo of Frank
    Frank
    Participant

I don’t think, that this will work, because the A&H driver will work with the chipset in the computer. I don’t think, that an USB 2.0 adapter will change this. And I also think, that USB -> LAN adapter also will not work, because of the same reason… the A&H driver expects to get the signal from the intern USB-port, and not from the LAN… but I am no computer scientist, so I am not shure… But I did read hundreds of threads about this theme and a lot of real computer scientists tried to find a solution, including Allen&Heath itself, but they didn’t find a simple and for everybody working solution until now, for the QU-series. I don’T know, if the SQ-series is better… they had problems also, but I don’t know, if it is solved there…

True is, that QU-drive recording and playback from USB-stick or harddisk will work fine, for everybody, whom it suffices. But USB-B recording and playback with computers is the problem for a lot of people. A&H specifically points out, that you have to use USB 2.0 ports for this action.

CarmeloP
    Participant

Glad I’ve found these threads. Going with a analogue mixer or the MIDAS M32R.
    Thank you all !

Profile photo of vappyo
    vappyo
    Participant

Hello everybody
    I just received the new QU-SB (Firmware 1.95, Rev 4561) and I had the same noise problems your are describing. I use a late 2012 MacBookPro and a Surface Pro (i7, 16GB Ram). I had the crushing sound on both machines, a little less on the macBook.
    After I changed the usb cable, the problems where solved on both machines! I use a cable, which I took from an old RME Interface. It is much thicker than the normal cables.

Probably this helps a few other people out there.

all the best
    vappyo

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Nik
    Nik
    Participant

Buongiorno a tutti.
    Sono da poco entrato nel mondo dei mixer Allen ed ho da poco acquistato un sq6.
    Lo stesso problema lo sto rilevando anche su sq6(firmware 1.32 installato) con pen drive collegata all’sq drive.
    C’è un rumore digitale all’inizio della registrazione(esattamente quando il led sotto la pen drive si accende e lampeggia in fase di scrittura). È un rumore abbastanza fastidioso che in fase di registrazione e durante i live esce da tutte le outline. Per fortuna non viene registrato, ma è molto fastidioso anche perché ha un volume piuttosto alto.
    Credo sia il caso di andare a fondo per capire il problema.
    Non è bello avere un mixer di questo calibro ed ascoltare rumori da disturbo.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 339 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.