Digital noise when streaming audio via USB-B.

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Digital noise when streaming audio via USB-B.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 338 replies, has 89 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of MarksLiveMusic MarksLiveMusic 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 339 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

@frank
    understand what you mean

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

@keithjah
    are there any news on this, or even a status update?

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

@steffenromeiss ,

We released the updated firmware for Qu earlier in the year – this included all the tweaking we can carry out at the Qu end to stabilise USB streaming with a wider range of systems.
    We’ve made similar changes with SQ, though are periodically revisiting this, especially as changes are made to Windows and Mac operating systems.

As in the first page of this topic, the first thing to do is check your system for realtime audio suitability – most of the issues we’ve spoken to users about have turned out to be standard computer audio related problems, solved (in Windows) through using DPC Latency Checker or LatencyMon to pin down the culprit.
    Some other issues are covered in Qu/SQ knowledgebase articles(https://support.allen-heath.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/1205/338/troubleshooting-issues-with-the-sq-usb-b-interface).

Thanks,
    Keith.

Profile photo of Jay-T
    Jay-T
    Participant

And what about Mac users??

Profile photo of Joeschmo
    Joeschmo
    Participant

So let me get this correct? You have exhausted all A&H’s and the computer industries resources and consider the subject closed.

Yet you only give a generic solution, which doesn’t work, for Windows users. But not Mac.

You do not give a list of computer hardware compatible with your mixers. We are supposed to purchase A&H products, and hope we recommend these to others.

We all suspect A&H is either way in over its head or incompetent. Would you like all of us to help you decide?

You make it sound like if we do the steps outlined in your link, that will solve the problem, which it doesn’t. You also don’t give any real information why your products are having issues. How about posting the full problem your products are having compatibility with, you know the technical details. If A&H can’t solve them maybe someone out your walls can.

I’ve been involve in the computer industry since about 1980 and rarely has there been a problem that couldn’t be resolved with by either a firmware change or a part replacement and firmware change.

Fix the problem!!!

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

The source of the problem has already been discussed. Intel’s USB3+ chips deviated from standard design thus introducing the incompatiblity. If you use a workstation, find a USB2 or a non-Intel USB3 card to install. For laptops, find one that doesn’t use Intel chips or find an older USB2 only laptop.

Profile photo of JakeRHill
    JakeRHill
    Participant

I just find it hard to buy that the problem is on Intel’s side. A&H has to accommodate this “non-standard” implementation. Intel has a huge market share which effectively makes their USB implementation a “standard.” A&H needs to get in line with all the other vendors who have to deal with the same issues and fix this so it works properly.

Don’t get me wrong, I really love these boards, but as others have said, this USB issue really is a big problem.

Profile photo of Frank
    Frank
    Participant

I would be interested, if digital mixers of other companies for example Presonus, Soundcraft, Yamaha etc., have the same problem? Does anybody know something about this? If they dont have this problem, there is a big problem for A&H, because they will lose a lot of customers, who want to buy a band- or studio-mixer for multitrack recording. For me, that was the reason for buying this Qu 16. And I am not happy, that I was forcerd to buy an used Lenovo Thinkpad TP410 to solve the problem, because before I buyed a super modern strong Lenovo Ideapad with 16 GB Ram for over 1000€ for this purpose, and now I cannot use it! The Thinkpad did cost 450€ extra with a new SSD Disk.

Profile photo of Smokehead
    Smokehead
    Participant

Here’s a link to a discussion i’ve started on intel-communities..

https://communities.intel.com/thread/122542?start=15&tstart=0

Best regards,

Smokehead

Profile photo of Frank
    Frank
    Participant

So everybody pushes the problem from one to the other. Intel says, that A&H and/or Microsoft is “guilty”, but they forget, that some Macs are involved also. And since 04/2018 this thread is also “dead”, no news… So, we are waiting and waiting and nobody is able to find a solution. Very frustrating! So again my question: I would be interested, if digital mixers of other companies for example Presonus, Soundcraft, Yamaha etc., have the same problem? Does anybody know something about this? I use a small Yamaha MG12XU analog mixer as well and don’t have any USB-problems with it!

Profile photo of Frank
    Frank
    Participant

And another question:
    Did anybody, especially A&H, contact Microsoft (and Apple) in terms of the USB 3.0 problem, like Intel proposed?
    Why is it not possible for A&H to build a complete new way for transporting the stream to the DAW, using the new standard USB 3.0, as it exists on ALL new laptops and PC’s? I know, they would need a new firmware also, but it can not be, that thousands of A&H-users since about two years or longer are not able to use the feature “USB-Recording” on a lot of common modern computers. I don’t think, that the transport of WAV-files can be sooooo complicated if it already is possible to transport huge video-files in time without no problems with USB 3.0.

So I will look into other forums of other mixers from Presonus, Soundcraft, Yamaha and will see, if they have also similar problems. If not, we have to think about the recommendation to change the mixers of A&H to working solutions of other companies. That would be a shame, but not avoidable, if we want to have a stable system for multitrackrecording, if A&H will not be able to solve it in next time. We have to work with our equipment and cannot wait for ever!

Profile photo of JakeRHill
    JakeRHill
    Participant

Lol, not saying it will happen, but you see class action lawsuits coming from these types of issues. Hopefully A&H will be able to fix. If not I’m sure at least some people will want their money back and move on to the competition.

Joeschmo
    Participant

Problem solved. Like A&H did to us, I sold it to an unsuspecting fool. Done with it. Later

Profile photo of Frank
    Frank
    Participant

I asked around in a german musican-forum, if they know similar problems with other mixers. Until now, nobody told me about problems with it. A person recommended a Midas M32R mixer. He never had USB-problems with it, never was thinking about USB 2 or 3. Routing to USB is one knob. The mixer looks nice, has all things, what it has to have, including connection to my Android Mixing-Station-Pro! If A&H/Microsoft/Intel or who else will not solve the problem in the next months, I really think about selling the A&H Qu 16 to somebody, who don’t need multitrackrecording to a DAW und buy a Midas M32R perhaps. This unfortunately will break up my business relationship to A&H and I think, it will get around. This will be not good for A&H! And I think, that’s a pity!

Joeschmo
    Participant

I know of three other owners who have been silent on the issue. They like many others just downgraded their workstations as a workaround.
    This is unbelievable. First you had to have some “special luck” and exactly the right USB drive to record multi-track live. Lost shows, unhappy clients, probably lost business besides. Then this USB issue that has been nearly a year in the making.
    A&H doesn’t give crap about it’s customers. These are problems with A&H.
    I don’t know about each of your business situations, but mine cannot, and will not, be held hostage by the lack of professionalism of A&H. Long term customers are hard to develope with excuses and equipment that doesn’t work.
    Like I said. Problem Solved. It’s sold. Bye, bye A&H.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 339 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.