Digital noise when streaming audio via USB-B.

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Digital noise when streaming audio via USB-B.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 338 replies, has 89 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of MarksLiveMusic MarksLiveMusic 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 339 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous

@shane
    Ahh good to know.
    I think you may be the first to comment on here using USB to USC [shape]type port?
    Thankyou for letting us know.
    Cheers

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

Is the 56k ohm resistors a standard feature of usb-b to usb-c cables? If not, maybe this is the key for noise free connections from the Qu to modern laptops.

Profile photo of shane
    shane
    Participant

I’m not sure if it’s a standard feature but I figured it couldn’t hurt when I was looking. So far after a couple weeks it’s been working great.

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

Thanks for the update, Shane.

Profile photo of TADASOFT40MG
    TADASOFT40MG
    Participant

TADASOFT 40 MG

Profile photo of slowhand73
    slowhand73
    Participant

Still problems with nois in play mode.
    But it is a little bit better, since I enabled the Intel Speed Step Tech in Bios

Profile photo of Doc
    Doc
    Participant

Hi everyone. I am a complete lay-person, so I don’t understand the jargon, but I figured out enough to operate the qu16. I couldn’t figure out what I was doing wrong, but am I understanding correctly that Catalina is not compatible at the moment with the qu16? I have been trying to troubleshoot for weeks and thought I was about to go crazy, but any insight would be greatly beneficial. Thanks!

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@Doc

Sweetwater says this at their link at https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/macos-10-15-catalina-compatibility-list/#a
    Allen & Heath
    Allen & Heath does not yet officially support macOS 10.15 Catalina for their products. Core Audio driver connectivity will work with their products but unique features like DAW control are not officially supported. Go to your mixer’s product page and click Software for the latest compatible software downloads. Make sure your other software and devices are also supported before upgrading.
    Allen & Heath Support resources — see their link for hotlink to AH info

Your DAW and plugs are another issue
    https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/production-expert-1/2019/9/18/macos-catalina-compatibility-the-ultimate-pro-audio-guide-check-it-out-today-to-see-if-the-software-and-plug-ins-you-use-support-apples-1015-yet

And here 1t 88570 – https://community.allen-heath.com/forums/topic/qu-24-logic-pro-control-surfaces-mac-os-catalina
    Alex S&H says
    Hi Sleeplesswaves,
    It is correct that MacOS Catalina is not officially supported at the moment, but I can help make sure everything on the desk is set up correctly before suggesting that Catalina is the cause of the problem.
    Thanks
    Alex

So Catalina might not be the problem

Profile photo of obaton
    obaton
    Participant

I update qu-sb with firmware 1.95 and crackling sound disappear.
    Windows 10, Intel i9-9900k

everything work fine!

Profile photo of stefan.warnat
    stefan.warnat
    Participant

Here, too.

Last week I started to use QU-16 (Firmware 1.90) in USB Streaming / DAW Controller mode with Cubase 10 on Notebook with Windows 10 and Intel i7-8700 / USB 3.0
    The recording was not usable, because of disturbing noises.

After reading threads in german communities and here, I update the mixer to 1.95 and use a USB Cable with Ferrit cores.
    (Like this, but I used an old one https://www.amazon.de/AISENS-2-0-Drucker-Kabel-Ferrit-schwarz/dp/B07DCWSW3M/)

Sounds disappear and not come back within a 4 hours recording.

regards

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

use USB 2.0 instead

Profile photo of Frank
    Frank
    Participant

@SteffenR: Would be the best, but some new laptops don’t have USB 2, so we need every solution/try available for pc’s wirhout USB2. I bought an old used Lenovo TP 410 laptop for this purpose, but how long it will survive?

volounteer
    Participant

@frank

I am still using win98SE and XPPro. My win95 battery died and it was too hard to replace it or that would still be in use too.
    My win81 and win10 are also running. Soon my linux and rasp pi also.

All my laptops have usb2 or usb3 that is compatible with usb2.

Profile photo of Frank
    Frank
    Participant

No, I am sorry but that’s not true: USB 3 is NOT completely downcompatibel to USB 2. That’s the reason for all this problems. There are differences in handling audio-streams! Only true USB2 ports work without problems (like in my old Lenovo TP 410, it does not depend on the operating system, but on the USB-architecture). It depends on the motherboards. There are differences between older pc’s with purely USB2 archtecture or both, real USB2 AND USB3 ports and newer ones with pseudo-USB2 ports, but purely USB3 architecture, with only pseudo-downcompatibility to USB2. In common applications you will not find a difference or problems, but in the special way, how A&H-Boards manage audiostreaming via USB, it is necessarry to have true USB2 ports with the corresponding old USB2-architecture. So to find a solution, that it works with true USB3 mainboards also, is the reason, why this thread exists since 2 years or so… A&H cannot solve it, because they cannot change the complete audiostream handling on their old QU-series. So every note, wich could be a solution, can help… but there are more posts, which tried different cables, never it was a solution for everybody… so perhaps I will try this special printer-USB2-cable also… did order it via Amazon… 🙂

volounteer
    Participant

@frank

Considering all the problems AH has with USB is it really the usb standard for compatibility from 3 to 2 or is the problem AH’s?

If the problem was the usb3 vs usb2 why wouldn’t AH admit the problem instead of having a useless database telling to hunt for flash drives that are ‘supposed’ to work ?

Seems like they would say what the problem is and say to use usb2 drives.
    And some folks claim their usb3 drives work which adds to the confusion.

My experience was with win10 bricking usb2 drives not the standard being a problem.
    The Qu just refused to do anything with the usb3s and some usb2s too.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 339 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.