Digital noise when streaming audio via USB-B.

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Digital noise when streaming audio via USB-B.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 338 replies, has 89 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of MarksLiveMusic MarksLiveMusic 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 339 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Chidge
    Chidge
    Participant

iFi iDefender3.0 USB Ground Isolator

something like this may solve the issue i am fairly confident. also if you use it on a laptop with no power adapter connected it shouldn’t make the noise either.

Profile photo of Frank
    Frank
    Participant

That’s VERY VERY interesting and would be such an easy solution!!! Did anybody else already test this? I had no chance until now, because the QU16 is not close to me… but I will try to test within 2 or 3 weeks. At first I would test, if the distortions will disappear, connecting the laptop without powersupply. If this occures, I would buy the

iFi Defender 3.0

Perhaps this will be an absolut easy and not expensive solution for all this problems since a lot of years!!! Hope dies last!

Profile photo of Chidge
    Chidge
    Participant

If this in fact solves the issue can A&H sponsor a new sq5 I’ve had my eye on for months? 😉

Good luck @frank I hope it solves the issue for you and others.

Profile photo of Alexander
    Alexander
    Participant

I tested it with a laptop and no power connected to the laptop, it makes no difference at all. What makes a difference is using the USB2 port of the laptop instead of a USB3 port. The Problem is well known to only affect USB3 ports and I’m pretty sure grounding issues play no part at all.

Profile photo of Motul
    Motul
    Participant

money for the WIND.

Profile photo of wickfut
    wickfut
    Participant

not sure if this is the same issue..

I recently started using the Qu-Pac as an audio interface and with that quickly began to notice I got a distorted bit rate type distortion when I switched some VST presets in Cubase 10. It seemed to happen more with VSTs which don’t mute as they change sounds. It was most frequent on IL Harmor and NI Replica and XT. It would turn on seemingly at random and turn back off again on the change of the preset. I could also go back and play the preset normal again once this had happened.

I believe it may be connected to Windows 10 anti-virus background monitoring. I haven’t had it since I turned it off.

Profile photo of Motul
    Motul
    Participant

I have the same thing !!! When I upload native Loops to Studio One … And it started (as I think) when I downloaded the New driver for Asio on Wondows10 from the Official Allen & Heath website! The same strong distortions also started when listening to any music on some Sites – for example, VKontakte! Just Horror! And on the previous firmware for Asio, this wasn’t .. The developers are obliged to check it! And fix the problem! My mixing console is QU-SB.

Profile photo of n13L5
    n13L5
    Participant

Just happened upon this thread, looking for info on the SQ5…

I have one suggestion for those who have a PC and can swap or can have someone swap their main-board and PSU.

I’d suggest – at any rate for audio work – a main-board that was designed for overclocking (usually gaming boards).
    Generally, the components are of better, more robust quality and better cooled.
    The second suggestion would be a high quality PSU: Seasonic, Corsair – Gold or Platinum rating.

Since this issue appears to only affect some computers, not others, I think you have a fair chance that this could fix it – provided, that spending $160 on mainboard and $100 on a good PSU is less of an issue to you than being unable to record.

Note, that there is the chance that this will not fix your issue. A computer is a very electromagnetically noisy environment. Any odd thing that’s not properly shielded could be the culprit.
    The reason why Mac drivers are usually first out. There’s less variation to account for. I assume anyone who has more than one computer/laptop has already tried hooking up their mixer to that, to see if its gone…

To avoid any confusion: I’m just a customer, this is NOT a recommendation from Allen&Heath. You might end up spending ~300 without remedy- though you will have improved your computer. Its probably only worth trying if this is stopping you from getting your work done.
    If you know you’re already using high quality mainboard and PSU in your DAW system, see if there’s any add-in cards you can toss out for testing.

Profile photo of Motul
    Motul
    Participant

Tell me, so what is the delay in mile seconds (ms) for the Qu series? When we send a signal from a computer to any channel – and then add this channel to Group 1-2, it’s impossible to listen to these two signals at the same time … a strong delay unfortunately … And there is no Patching on the channels either … How then can we make several Identical voice signals, but process them differently and without delays ???

Profile photo of Motul
    Motul
    Participant

electrical clicks when working with the QU-SB remote control have become even Stronger ((And This is NOT a problem because of 3.0 …. On my computer (which was built in 2007) there are boards Only with USB 2.0 …. I have a disk High-speed SSD / Vidovs10 / 64 Pro … And the digital noise as it was, it’s gotten even stronger … It’s just some kind of trouble …. We’ll have to look for a modern river mixer, which will be by Quality of compressors / pre amplifiers and effects, match or will be Better than QU-SB … I have now determined for myself the highest quality device (mixer with the best quality from All options c) – this is UNIVERSAL AUDIO Apollo 8 QUAD or higher (with a large number of inputs and outputs) … The best and the smallest in size are simply not to be found, it seems to me … But here the Quality and Price will be increased ..

Profile photo of Motul
    Motul
    Participant

I also look towards the 1U River of the MIDAS M32C remote control – It surpasses the QU-SB by a lot .. Qu32, respectively .. A total of 8 to eight quality effects (to which you can assign GEQ, etc.) … Someone asked which way who Looks … Here in the end, where exactly do I look now … Thanks for that QU-SB and digital noise / distortion.

Profile photo of tanilas
    tanilas
    Participant

Hi,

another QU-16 user facing the issue here.

Of course it is very disappointing and I wish I knew in advance but shouting all around and e-yelling won’t solve the issue for sure.

I am about to fill the form with my specs although all in all, it seems to be a mixer side hardware issue that cannot be addressed properly.

Just wanted to ask a question:

Has anyone tried getting a USB 2.0 PCI card and connect the mixer to that?
    Could that solve the problem?

Profile photo of wickfut
    wickfut
    Participant

I tried the PCIe USB 2.0 card in the mixer. It worked but brought other issues like clicks and pops.

I solved the issue completely by not using the Qu and using an SI Impact instead.

Profile photo of tanilas
    tanilas
    Participant

Thanks man for the info. To be honest, I’ve seen that using ASIO4ALL behaves better in terms of clicks and pops and can get the buffersize lower than with the A&H drivers. Though, ASIO4ALL has plenty of other reasons to be hated.

I solved the issue completely by not using the Qu and using an SI Impact instead.

Sure, not using something solves any issues of using it. 😉

Profile photo of shane
    shane
    Participant

Hi Everyone,

I’m new to USB streaming but a week or two ago I started playing around with our Qu-32 and Ableton Live and found the same issue you are all describing. After reading through the posts I took all the actions A&E recommended but still had the issue. I then purchased a USB-B to USB-C cable and I haven’t had any issues since. Not sure if that helps anyone, if you don’t have a USB-C port then it wouldn’t but here’s the cable I used:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LFLD7BV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 339 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.