Digital Monitor Split with Dante

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD general discussions Digital Monitor Split with Dante

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Silvermake Silvermake 8 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of tmtboss
    tmtboss
    Participant

Is it possible to use Dante modules for a digital monitor split, if so any pit falls to avoid.

Profile photo of jcarter
    jcarter
    Participant

I’ve never done it personally, but with the Dante card installed the GLD should be able to either send or receive all inputs over Dante to do a digital split.

The main problem with this approach, compared to a traditional analog split, is that one console controls the preamp gain, but any adjustments to the preamp will affect level at both consoles. This could be alleviated to some extent by putting digital trim, rather than preamp gain, on the surface of the “master” console once preamp gains are set.

Profile photo of dcongdon
    dcongdon
    Participant

Based on my experience with recording with Dante, I assume you will also need to set the Audio Sync to external/Option Card. This way, the Dante network will clock the system.

Profile photo of tmtboss
    tmtboss
    Participant

Thanks for your responses. Good advice, dB

Profile photo of Silvermake
    Silvermake
    Participant

I have done that few times. My GLD with dante card is the monitor desk, and we have Yamaha CL3 at FOH desk. In stage we have Yamaha Rio-stagebox, wich have dante port. Connect one cat-cable from Rio stagebox to GLD dante port and configure GLD to use dante channels to channel inputs and configure audio sync to use option card clock. It works flawlessly. 🙂

You must remember that the channel gains is set by the foh-desk and you must use channel trim in GLD.

Once system is gonfigured, its very simple and fast to setup and use. High five to Dante! 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.