Digi-GEQ Mesurement

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Digi-GEQ Mesurement

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike C Mike C 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Hugo
    Hugo
    Participant

Hi everybody !
    So today I was experimenting with my SQ5 about tuning and ring out wedges.
    I take some mesurement for the ring out, and it appears that PEQ is more precise than the classic GEQ.
    Does anybody had a mesurement of the Digi-GEQ ? I would like to know if it’s a good investment or if it’s equal than the PEQ.

I enclose my measurements for those who are interested :
    Pink : GEQ
    Orange : PEQ
    Same gain and frequency, width at minimum

Stay Safe !

Hugo

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@hugo

What is the real problem?
    What are your real requirements?
    What do you consider success?
    What are the constraints? Time, budget, yada yada.

GEQ is meant more to tune a room while PEQ is then used on specific mikes for various reasons.

For me it is too close to care about what you measured.
    Other factors may be more important.
    YMMV

Profile photo of Hugo
    Hugo
    Participant

This is not a problem !

GEQ is more intended to tune a room while PEQ is then used on specific mics for various reasons.

I know it

I see success as bandwidth like a cut.
    I can not find what suits me the most to equalize my wedges, on the one hand I find the GEQ very greedy to just cut a few frequencies but on the other hand I can not manage with only my 4 bands of EQ.
    This is why I would have liked before buying the Digi GEQ to know if the equalization bands were tighter, since being in France I have a tax of 20% …

I know I can’t have the same result as the Waves X-FBDK but I would like to be as close as possible.

Profile photo of ioTon
    ioTon
    Participant

Hi Hugo,

I think you set the width of the PEQ to maximum – or?

GEQ: fixed Bandwith of 1/3 Octave = 4,36 width
    PEQ: max width of 10

greetings,
    dd

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

GEQ is meant more to tune a room while PEQ is then used on specific mikes for various reasons.

In this day and age no one who is serious about it uses a GEQ to tune a system.
    Maybe for some on the fly quick grabs but not main system tuning.

By the way you don’t “tune a room” with an eq, to tune a room you apply acoustical treatments to the room itself. An EQ “tunes” the response of the sound system.

Profile photo of Hugo
    Hugo
    Participant

I think you set the width of the PEQ to maximum – or?

Yes that’s it, in France we say “minimum” like the graph but you understand it 🙂

In this day and age no one who is serious about it uses a GEQ to tune a system.

Totally agree, my post was for the ring out and omni mic like DPA who loves feedback

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

my post was for the ring out and omni mic like DPA who loves feedback

I would use the PEQ for that on the channel and or if needed have the channel routed to a group and use the group PEQ as well.
    The PEQ will let you get right on top of the frequency and notch it out with the needed filter width.
    Don’t forget to use a generous high pass filter on those mic inputs!!

If the main sound system is going to be used just for spoken word you can get creative with the system EQ and set it up just for that purpose, if the system is also used for full range music and other events you can’t go so “creative” with the over all system EQ.

Profile photo of Hugo
    Hugo
    Participant

Thanks !

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Since we’re talking EQ’s here some years ago there was an analog graphic EQ that you could change the Q of the filter width, the filter center frequencies were still fixed.
    I think is was a Orban model.

Graphic Eq’s were/are not all created equal, the different makes and models all had their own take on the bandwidth of the filters, how they interacted with one another, and the type of filters they used to get there.

Back in my all analog days I used BSS FCS960’s for the mains, Ashly GQX’s everywhere else and I had a couple Symetrix PEQ’s for inserts.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.