Different Effects on Main Mix and Busses: New user questions

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Different Effects on Main Mix and Busses: New user questions

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of rschlierbeck rschlierbeck 9 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of rschlierbeck
    rschlierbeck
    Participant

Hi,

I’m a brand new Qu-16 user and I’m trying to work out a few things.

I have a mix going to a floor monitor for the singer and she would like to have a different level of reverb on her voice in the floor monitor vs the main monitor mix. Is this possible? How would you do it? Right now I’ve got a reverb set up on FX1 in the rack. The FX is set up as a Mix Return. I have set up Mix 1 as the floor monitor mix. The singer is on channel 1 and I use the fader to to adjust the level being sent to the FX1 buss. This controls how much reverb is on her voice in the main monitor mix. The rest of the band is also being sent to her floor monitor mix. How do I adjust the amount of reverb on just the singer in the mix 1 buss?

Thanks.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Adjust the level of the FX1 return which is going to her monitor mix.

Select her mix on the right, then the top layer on the left. fX1 return fader will now control the wet sound going to her wedge.

Profile photo of cornelius78
    cornelius78
    Participant

It depends if anything else is also feeding FX1 or if it’s just her vocal, how many spare FX engines/channels you’ve got, and how actively you can manage the signal as to whether you set it up pre/post, but here are some things you could try:

Adjust the level of the FX1Return in Mix 1.

or

Send her channel by itself to a spare FX unit, send that FX unit’s return exclusively to Mix1 at whatever level she wants. That way you have one FX for monitors, one for FOH.

or

Insert a spare FX unit across her channel: you’ll get reverb all the time everywhere that channel goes. Mix it for her monitor, hope it doesn’t get too out of control, then mix to FX1 for more verb FOH (if you need to. If you insert the FX on the channel you might find you don’t need as much in FOH.)

or

Y-split her channel to two separate preamps, use the first one exclusively for FOH as you’re doing now, use the second one exclusively for her monitor, and insert the FX across the second channel. Whatever verb settings she wants in her monitor wont affect FOH and vice versa.

rschlierbeck
    Participant

Thanks for the replies they were very helpful. Getting my mind around the routing is the challenge. Since the band is not really using effects, other than reverb, I set up FX1 and FX2 to be reverbs with different parameters. FX 1 goes to FOH and FX2 goes to the floor wedge. Problem solved. I tried putting the reverb as in insert on the vocal channel. It sounded really good in the FOH mix but was harder to control in the floor wedge mix. Probably just my inexperience.

Another question. Is it possible to mute the FOH but still be able to listen to the mix in the headphones? I can’t seem to get anything in the headphones if the output is muted or the fader pulled down.

Thanks for all the help.

Jones.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

The mix PAFL is probably set to AFL rather than PFL, now where that setting is is another question….

Page 20 of the manual might help 😉

rschlierbeck
    Participant

Once gain, thank you. That was it. I just went to the Audio tab on the Setup screen and set the Output AFL to off. Now I can play around with the board through headphones.

Jones

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.