Difference between Waves and Dante option cards

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD general discussions Difference between Waves and Dante option cards

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Nicola A&H Nicola A&H 8 years ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of ian.hind
    ian.hind
    Participant

It would be nice if there was a comparison page for all the option cards.

ACE, Dante, M-Waves, all seem to be doing similar things.

What’s the difference between the Waves and the Dante?

It seems they both support “virtual sound cards, I/O, over ethernet”

So what is actually the difference besides the virtual interface involved? They seem to do exactly the same thing.

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Ian,

ACE is a Layer 2, 64×64 point-to-point connection. It’s cost effective and simple to use (no computer setup required) but doesn’t offer any recording option.

The Dante and Waves option cards offer similar functionality in terms of recording and playback. The main differences are:
    – M-Waves can interface with Waves SoundGrid networks and servers for low latency plugin processing and I/O.
    – M-Dante can interface with a large number of Dante-enabled third party products.

Hope this helps.

Profile photo of ian.hind
    ian.hind
    Participant

Thanks for the reply Nicola.

Is the M-Dante card still capable of running Waves Multirack?

Is the M-Dante capable of having a Soundgrid server on a separate network switch?

I’d like to have Dante for many reasons, but Soundgrid running along side that would REALLY help me.

Thanks in advance

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

The Dante Virtual Soundcard is ASIO / Core Audio compliant so you can use the M-Dante card with Multirack Native. Latency is typically several ms though.

The M-Dante is not compatible with SoundGrid servers.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.