Difference between Mixes and Groups?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Difference between Mixes and Groups?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Rob Rob 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of rschlierbeck
    rschlierbeck
    Participant

Hi,

I’m considering a trade up from a Qu-16 to a Qu-24. Big reason is I’m trying to get more stereo outputs for In-Ear monitors. I recall reading on here that you could use Group outputs to increase the number of stereo outs. Is that correct? Can I use the Groups and Matrix outputs to get an additional 4 stereo outs? I’m not really clear on the differences between a Mix a Group and a Matrix.

Thanks for the help,

Jones

Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan
    Participant

If you upgraded from the Qu-16 to the Qu-24, you would get 2 Groups that you could use as stereo outs if you switch them to mix mode (there are 4 xlr outputs on the back of the mixer for the stereo groups).

The 2 matrix outputs could kind of get used as 2 additional stereo outs, though there are some pretty big constraints; they do not have a separate button for using the faders to control what is going to them (all set up is done via the touchscreen), and the bigger one, the matrix output consists of a mix of groups 1-2 (or 4 on the Qu-32), mixes 1-10, and main LR. So if you’re able to compose a monitor mix from other monitor mixes, it could work.. but then you could probably just let people share mixes, or if they complain give them a mono mix.

Profile photo of rschlierbeck
    rschlierbeck
    Participant

Ryan,

Thanks for the explanation. That is exactly what I needed to know. On the Qu-24 I can get 5 stereo mixes which is plenty. I was just trying to understand what the matrices give me.

Jones

Profile photo of Rob
    Rob
    Participant

A Mix is an auxiliary mix of channels to be sent somewhere separate from the Mains mix. For example, as monitor mixes or for an FX bus. A Group is a bus for manipulating multiple channels together. For example, you could group all drum channels together then EQ/compress/control them all together for a more coherent sound, and then send that group into the LR mains rather than the individual channels. On the Qu, Groups can be switched to Mix mode. A Matrix is a mix of mixes. For example, you could take your mains output and add some boost from that drum group to create a matrix for recording.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.