Difference between "Direct out" and "Insert send"

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Difference between "Direct out" and "Insert send"

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Frank Frank 5 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Frank
    Frank
    Participant

Hi,

a question about the recording options. You have to decide between “Insert sends” and “Direct outs”. “Direct outs” can be post preamp until post delay.
    As I did understand, Direct outs will be always post fader… is that true?
    And what is the difference between Insert sends and Direct out-post preamp? Is Insert sends pre preamps???? So the pure singnal from the instrument before gain?
    So must I select “Dirct out – post preamp” to get the unchanged signal with a sufficient gain-level. But I would not like to have the channel-fader-level also, because I will do this later in the DAW.

A little bit confusing for me.

What would you take for options to record your band in the training room or on stage and after this to edit in the DAW? Should I take the compressor and EQ also recorded, that it sounds like in the training room? I dont want to edit a lot, it is just for us, to distribute our songs to the band-members and friends, no claim to produce a CD or something professional…

Thanks for help!

Profile photo of Frank
    Frank
    Participant

Hi again… does really nobody know the difference between recording the “insert sends” oder the “direct outs”?

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

Insert sends taps the channel signal directly after the preamp. No processing except gain. The direct out let’s you tap the signal anywhere along the processing path. This includes pre or post fader.

Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan
    Participant

Direct out post preamp is tapping from the same place as insert sends — right after the preamp. Direct out doesn’t mean it is post fader, that behavior is controlled by a different setting(s), Follow Fader and Follow Mute. If you need a higher signal level for a particular channel, there is a direct out trim level that can be adjusted for each channel.

https://support.allen-heath.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/1148/0/direct-outs–qu-drive–usb-audio

Profile photo of Frank
    Frank
    Participant

O.k…. now I understand!!! What I didn’t know was, if insert sends are pre or post preamp. so everythin ist post preamps, so post gain! And if I want to get processed signals, but pre fader, I can select the place, where it comes out and the fader can be outsourced…! Great! Thanks for help!!!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.