DI Box functionality in digital Stage Boxes

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ feature suggestions DI Box functionality in digital Stage Boxes

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dilettant Dilettant 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Dilettant
    Dilettant
    Participant

Hmm @Moderation: is tbhis the right forum for that topic? Please feel free to move that post to the right place if necessary.

I would suggest for next generation of digital stageboxes to integrate DI Box functionality.

In analog times, Preamps where at the Mixing desk and stageboxes likely were grounded over the multicore at the Mixer end. Since unbalanced lines should be as short as possible it made Sense to integrate ground lift and symmetrization of signals on stage near the sources – so the DI Box was the right tool for that.

Today, Preamps and A/D Converters went to the stagebox, located on stage, separate from the Mixer. It is much more common to have smaller Stageboxes distributed nearer to signal sources and connect them with Digicores instead of a single central 48 XLR Input Monster with long XLR Cables to the Instruments.

So it would be more comfortable to do symmetrization and ground lifting in the stagebox itself with central control from the mixer desk. Especially in the smaller ones like AR84 since they may be integrated into Synth or wireless receiver racks. maybe by using the phone plug part of combo Jacks so the XLR ins keep symmetric and the phone plugs are dedicated to unsymmetric line signals.

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

I’m not against this idea, but I think it would be hard to implement in a way that would make people happy. Obviously doing this would add cost to the stage box, especially if good quality transformers and components are used (Jensen transformers cost a min of $60 each for example). That alone will make some people unhappy -especially if they don’t need it. Then you would have to determine what the “optimum” number of DI inputs is going to be. Is it 1, or 2, or 4? Again, it will be hard to make people happy.

In the end I think leaving the stage box as is and allowing people to use their own DI boxes is probably the best course of action. Then people can get the exact number and pay for the quality (or not pay for quality- their decision) of the DI boxes they need.

Profile photo of tourtelot
    tourtelot
    Participant

Also, long unbalance runs of TS/TS perhaps, to where the stage box is located. XLRs from individual DIs are less prone to interference.

D.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Way too many flavors of DI boxes to try to satisfy everyone with a built in DI.

I purposely don’t put stage boxes out on the stage close to the musicians but have them
    side stage, next to the amp racks or someplace kind of safe and run sub snakes from them
    to the needed locations on stage.

Profile photo of Showtime
    Showtime
    Participant

Very bad idee, i have 5 different di boxes of radial for different instuments. Now i can choose the di for the pupose. With build in i can’t.

I put the 2 dx rack’s at the side of stage and run snake’s.

Richard

Dilettant
    Participant

Now i can choose the di for the pupose. With build in i can’t.

Thats simply not true.

You could use your external DI and plug it into the Mic In of the Stagebox as you do now. You just had the option to plug your Instruments into the Line Jack without one and then had a ground lift.

To save space, TF/XLR Combo Jacks could be used for this. XLR as Mic In, TF as Line In with integrated DI and Ground Lift.

Dilettant
    Participant

Also, long unbalance runs of TS/TS perhaps,

You alway could use the balanced input with an external DI Box then. Where’s the Problem?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.