Default to custom layer on boot.

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Default to custom layer on boot.

This topic contains 15 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Giga Giga 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

I am out of town for awhile but had a customer calling that I recently installed a QU24. Asking if the custom layer could default load at boot up. Seems I tried that once awhile back on another console and could not get it to work.

Does anyone know? Will be a few days before I can get back to try it. There should be a way. I talked them on phone how to set the custom layer up. They just didn’t want to have to switch layers from main to upper just to play a CD. Keep it simple for volunteers. One less thing to trap them.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

You can set standard user to Custom Layer Only

Page 46

“Custom Layer Only can be set to lock the user out of the
    standard Inputs and Masters fader layers. Admin can assign
    just the required channel strips and therefore prevent the user
    accessing channels that should not be touched.”

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Just checked the Manual, setting up a Basic User with only access to the custom layer may do the trick. So some action is needed (login as admin) to get back the full functionality. If that could work for your customer I may quickly try it.
    The price is yours, Mark… 😉

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Ok. Well I was trying to save them keystrokes. It seems that a preference could be set to default to custom when booting. If not then there should be one if the scene is designed that way. My biggest problem in training folks is getting them adjusted to dealing with layers.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

If the Admin user does not have a password, the console boots with the setup used during last shutdown (with channel layer selected, however you left it).
    If there is an Admin password, the console boots locked into the login screen. After choosing Standard/Basic user you still need to press login to get the console switch to the custom layer (user needs to be restricted to the custom layer) and load some default scene.
    At least I couldn’t find a setting to select the boot layer. Maybe worth a feature request.
    Recalling a scene does not memorize/switch current layer, btw.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

That’s what I thought. I feel there should be an option to boot to custom if that’s what the user is going to primarily use. It seems logical for us guys to know what to do but to novices it needs to be as simple as it can be.

Profile photo of Hawk
    Hawk
    Participant

I also wish it to retain the last selected channel after reboot.

Profile photo of DoctorG
    DoctorG
    Participant

As has been said, you can set up the Standard User so that only the Custom layer can be used. I did this for our normal users. They can control all of the inputs and mixes we use, as well as use the DCAs for control of groups used for recording, using only the custom layer. But you are then limited to only 32 faders, unless they know how to use the Blue Mix buttons.

By using the Safes screen, you can protect all parameters for one channel, so that when you select the desired Scene on bootup, the one channel’s setting will not be over-ridden.

This does leave you open to an operator leaving that channel in a “problematic” or unknown state for the next person. I prefer to have the standard scene have one or two critical channels unmuted, but use the Scene and/or Global Filter to protect everything but the Mutes.

The security model for the QU is fairly complex and versatile, but it’s a shame that there are only three user levels, with the Basic level being practically useless. Perhaps A&H will change this with a firmware upgrade.

My familiarity with this is admittedly limited, so I hope I have given you good information that can be used alongside what has been given in previous posts.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

I just think the easier thing is for an additional tab in setup/control to select what layer defaults on startup. The GLD works that way except it just comes up where you left it on shutdown. But since the QU series is finding its way into more facilities with novice operators I try to keep things as simple as I can.

Profile photo of DrDave
    DrDave
    Participant

There is not much in the manual around these areas and I had to experiment to find ways which provided safe and repeatable operation for the basic users yet control and flexibility for the power users.

The Qu powers up into whatever state it was last left. This includes the user type as well as the the selected fader layer in use and fader settings etc. I ask the power users as a matter of courtesy to change the user type back to basic. Upon changing user types, there can be a predefined startup scene for that user which is loaded, which can recall various fader and mix settings.

Using a scene outside the range allocated to users together with applying a simple password to the standard user means that however the desk was left, on power up the basic users cannot help but end up in a known safe state on the custom layer, unaffected by anything that the standard users can do.

Things can still go wrong if there are global safes preventing the total recall of the basic scene.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

I tried last week before I left town and the desk always came up on the main layer. Unless I am overlooking something but seems others agree with that otherwise this thread is not useful.

Profile photo of JohnnyD
    JohnnyD
    Participant

There is also the button at the bottom of the Setup->Control->Custom Layer screen which can lock the desk into Custom Layer Only, regardless of user.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

In a church environment it can be helpful to have a “return to base” on startup.

We have a Roland M300, and it is configured to absolutely overwrite everything with Scene000 (backuped up in various places) and select User Layer 2.
    This doesn’t restore user preferences (fader assignment etc), so is still vulnerable to advanced operators forgetting to restore those settings.

A “this desk shall be as follows on startup” option is nice.

Profile photo of Zueri
    Zueri
    Participant

I agree with [XAP]Bob. I also faced the situation where an easy “restore scene 1 on startup” would be very nice. You csn set this as a softbutton but this already needs some training.

Profile photo of GeddonArchon
    GeddonArchon
    Participant

I guess this was never changed? It is my one minor gripe with this board. every time I turn it on I have to switch to the custom layer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.