Default Scene read only?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Default Scene read only?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of gilly gilly 7 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of gilly
    gilly
    Participant

Hi
    Is there a way to make a particular ‘default’ scene read only i.e. that settings cannot be changed and saved by a Standard user. I have set up Scene 15 as a default scene and have asked the guys to copy from this scene to whatever scene number they choose when they’re on sound. But inevitably every so often someone stays on scene 15 for the service (instead of copying to another scene) messes with a setting and saves/stores when finished, and then this default scene gets copied the next week with the changed setting. This happened tonight when speaker began talking on hand held mic there was a weird echoey hollow sound. It turned out someone had changed the routing on this channel so that the main LR was turned off and the sound was only coming from the upstairs balcony speakers. Is there a way of preventing this with Scene Safe or other way?

Profile photo of airickess
    airickess
    Participant

Not sure if you can do that for a Standard user. What you might want to do is save Scene 100 as your default, then copy that to Scene 15. Keep your protocols the same – tell the users that Scene 15 is the default. When someone rewrites over the scene you can simply copy from Scene 100.
    Also, once you set up the scenes the way they should be you should save the entire show to a USB stick so you can reload it if the scenes become corrupted.

Profile photo of DrDave
    DrDave
    Participant

Yes. It was important for me that for non-technical users, the system always works, and this has worked successfully over the last 2 years.

Define a scene range for standard (and basic) users (eg 16-100). Define a start scene (eg 15) outside of that range. Put a scene recall for the start scene on a soft button. Set a password for the top level user. Whenever a user logon occurs, or whenever the soft button is pressed, the start scene will be recalled, resetting any parameters which are not made safe.

If you grant top level access to all operators then of course all bets are off. I store routing changes for different seating layouts as protected scene recalls on soft buttons.

The desk configuration is preserved over power cycles and so you need to cycle through user types to refresh the start scene. My church situation has services which alternate between Basic and Standard logins, and so the appropriate desk configuration is always loaded. But a soft button refresh may work better for you.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

This is one thing I really like about the Roland M-300…

It boots to scene 1, which is marked as locked.
    The lock isn’t secure, but it’s enough to remind people to drop to scene 2 and save over that instead (that’s the ‘this sunday’ scene, plenty of space for others further down).

Does mean you *have* to save as you go (since you lose the settings on power failure) but it also means that the desk is the same for all users at startup.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

I did an event this summer where I needed to leave stage 2 for “self operation” most of the time, & know I came up with something that worked. It was very similar to what DrDave said, about setting a scene range with the “default” outside that range, but without the desk to try it on, I wasn’t sure that I remembered correctly. Good thinking on the soft key DrDave, I’ll add that to my setup if I’m doing that event again.

Adding a lock (with the admin password) to a scene would be a good idea though……

Profile photo of gilly
    gilly
    Participant

Airickess and DrDave, I already have a DEFAULT scene set up on Scene 1 (with all the correct routing and other settings etc), which only myself and one other Admin user can access. Standard users have access to Scenes 15 – 100. From time to time I copy Scene 1 to over-write Scene 15 and I have told the standard users to copy from Scene 15 to whatever Scene number they want from 16-100. But as I said, they all don’t obey this procedure and some stay on Scene 15 instead and change settings as they please but then save scene, which of course changes the Default setup for the next person. I like the idea of the Soft Key. So can I put Scene 1 (which is usually outside of Standard users control) on a soft key that standard users can use?

Profile photo of DrDave
    DrDave
    Participant

So can I put Scene 1 (which is usually outside of Standard users control) on a soft key that standard users can use?

Yes.

Choose Setup/Control/SoftKeys, select “Recall Scene” and enter scene 1 as the scene to be recalled. There is more info in the manual section: “Control Setup – SoftKeys”

Profile photo of gilly
    gilly
    Participant

Thanks doc😊

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.