Deep Processing

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Deep Processing

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of baylonjay baylonjay 5 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Nik
    Nik
    Participant

I’d really like to know how the “deep processing ready” will work in practice.
    As far as i understand, sq users can buy extra “plugins”.

Which ones will there be? (preamps, compressors…?)
    Approximatley how much will they cost?
    what else can you tell us about this?

Profile photo of cornelius78
    cornelius78
    Participant

That’s my understanding too. From what I’ve read users who register their console and download the v1.1 firmware will receive a DEEP preamp (guessing a tube\valve emulation?) model for free. Being a DEEP plugin, it can be inserted across as many channels as you want without affecting the console’s latency, so everything remains coherant. This is a big deal compared to some other consoles that allow for certain processing emulations to be inserted across channels, but are limited in that doing burns the console’s FX racks, and it messes with the latency, and coherancy is lost.

I imagine that A&H are doing this to give users who’ve not experienced dLive a (free) introduction to what DEEP processing models can do for their sound. I imagine that A&H will then gauge demand and set up individual\packages of preamp\compressor\geqs etc ported over from dLive.*

*All just conjecture on my part.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

General discussion..
    I have a querry…

Did I read or watch a video that the SQ system runs in
    variable bit rate internally ? and then resamples the out-puts to 48 or 96k? 24 or 32 bit?

cornelius78
    Participant

On the overview page the XCVI core runs “variable bit-depth for ultimate precision and noise performance,…” I suppose that a variable bit-rate could allow for some more separation between noise floor and useful content. TBH I don’t know enough about it.. except to say that people I’ve spoken to who have used dLive are impressed at how high they can crank things and it still sounds good, without needing to resort to eq\compression.

I read that all internal processing is 96kHz, and each “accumulator” (output) bus is 96-bits, so that’s a lot of headroom for summing signals without clipping internally.

Then if outputting (digitally) to something running a lower sample rate\bit-depth, (eg AR\AB stageboxes with the SLink socket running in dSnake mode, or a Dante expansion card clocked lower to interface with other (older) Dante hardware that can only run at 48kHz,) the console will re-sample the digital output to the appropriate sample-rate\bit-depth for that digital connection. Of course if using DX\gigaAce, (or Dante @96kHz) no need for re-sampling the digital output.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Ahh thats where I spotted that. Thanks.
    XCVI core runs “variable bit-depth
    So the internal system runs at 96k fixed?.
    However the AR boxes are 48/ 24-bit
    I guess A & H would want to give too much away right at this moment..

cornelius78
    Participant

I think it was mentioned in the webinar that SQ would re-sample the incoming audio stream coming in from AR\AB stageboxes (and 48kHz clocked exp card) up to 96kHz to allow the SQ console to always operate at its native 96kHz. Then, if audio is leaving the console digitally (as opposed to out of the console’s own analogue XLR sockets) to a stagebox (or exp card) that can only run at 48kHz (eg AR\AB as opposed to a DX\DM rack runing @ 96kHz) the console will down-sample the outgoing audio stream to 48kHz before sending it down to the stagebox. The stagebox then does its normal DAC operation on that 48kHZ stream and outputs the (now analogue) signal via its own XLR sockets.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

For sure That’s how I see this as well.
    The part that got me was the variable bit rate which I have used quite some time ago in software but kept away from it for other reasons.
    So seeing those words [variable bit rate] pop up again stopped me in my tracks.

Profile photo of Nik
    Nik
    Participant

ok. interesting topic, but has nothing to do with the Topic at hand and should have a seperate thread!

I’d rather discuss further Deep Processing features.
    Maybe someone can enlighten us how this system might work and what the pricing might be like..

Yes i have seen the Webinar also where they present the Tube Preamp (free on SQ), which looks cool and might give some nice flavours on some sources. It would be great to be able to run Busses with this preamp also, but i guess it wont be possible. Maybe they will add some sort of Saturator later on.

Profile photo of SDCyclist
    SDCyclist
    Participant

Indeed… My interest is piqued. There’s a lot to like about this console but a having a decent multi-band compressor and a de-esser without having to run an external server is pretty important to me.

Profile photo of Andrien
    Andrien
    Participant

I wonder if we purchased those DEEP processing plugin, does it attach to our account or attach to our mixer? What happen should we have to rent the mixer, how can we put plugin on rented board?

Profile photo of JohnnyD
    JohnnyD
    Participant

You’re getting your terminology all mixed up. Bit depth and sample rate are two very separate things!

Profile photo of baylonjay
    baylonjay
    Participant

absolutely – I really hate all the bit rate, verses sample depth, versus bit depth, versus sampling rate, versus sampling depth – these terms are all thrown around with (no offense at all intended) – most non engineers / techs (and many quote engineers and techs) having no clue overall which is which, and what each actually means. For the record with PCM formats there is bit depth per sample, and sample rate per each second (for example 24bit samples at 96,000 samples per second or simply 24/96). All the other terms are vague / ambiguous and or wrong.

So my big question for the XCVI ‘deep’ cores that are in the SQ5/6/7 XCVI FPGAs – do those do the internal DSP / mixing, EQ, FX, etc – with the same 96bit math accumulation precision as the dLive XCVI FPGA cores?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.