Deep Processing

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Brian Brian 2 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Mat420
    Mat420
    Participant

@A&H

any news when we get the new dLive Deep Processings for the Avantis? πŸ™‚ ?

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

A&H is very tight lipped about these things. They never want to promise something that then not be able to come through for some unforeseen issue. They may eventually hint at some of the features coming in the next major firmware update, but they will never give a solid release date.

That being said, I would be surprised if we saw anything in the next couple of months. A&H just released DLive 1.9 in November and the two systems are so closely related that I assume it is the same team working on the firmware for both DLive and Avantis. This means the team really hasn’t been focused on Avantis until just recently and it will take months and months to update and test a new feature release firmware. Maybe second half of the year (probably more like 4th quarter) if I had to wager a guess – and that is if everything goes smoothly. If there is an issue that creeps up, it can delay a firmware release for many months.

Profile photo of Florian Steppke
    Florian Steppke
    Participant

It is a bit sad that firmware updates are so rare regarding the avantis. 1.11 after 2 years of production. Its not sad because of new fancy features like a rta on peq for example which could make the console better. There still are issues and bugs that needs to be fixed, a laggy gui for example. Sometimes i have to wait 2 seconds until something happens. I even had some complete freezes. Or graphic mistakes, or the scene updater bug….such great screens and no multi-touch functions. Whatever. I hope that things get better for a&h when corona is not that big issue anymore.

Profile photo of Steve
    Steve
    Participant

The release notes provide a history of the firmware update release dates.

I have no idea if the dev team is shared but here is the timing of the last 4 major releases across both platforms:

3/2019 β€” dlive
    12/2019 – Avantis [initial launch]
    [big gap, covid fun]
    3/2021 β€” Avantis
    9/2021 – dlive

Based on the history you might guess we could see an Avantis major release 6-9 months from 9/2021. But who knows, they don’t share their backlog or calendar with us.

Profile photo of Chris
    Chris
    Participant

Not trying to sound negative but we waited 5+ years to get rta on peq for dlive…

You got 4+ years to go…

Just kidding…

or am I?

In all seriousness, I thought I read somewhere that one of the developers said that the dlive and avantis platforms, code wise, are similar so it shouldn’t take that long for Avantis to be updated. The fact that they just released a new update for Avantis is promising. As others have stated though, I wouldn’t expect anything any time soon. I mean, you bought the Avantis without those features, so its really unfair to be angry about not getting a free gift you haven’t been told you would get…

Profile photo of Chris
    Chris
    Participant

I re-read that realized that last sentence sounded really sassy. I’m not implying you are angry. Many folks have expressed frustrations over this.

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

I’m making a lot of assumptions in this post as I don’t have any knowledge about the internal processes at A&H, but I think it is pretty clear that the software development team at A&H is pretty small. I’m pretty sure that they also share the same team between DLive and Avantis. The 1.9 DLive release was pretty major and probably took up most if not all of that team’s time. Then we have had major hardware revisions in the A&H ecosystem due to chip shortages. Again this has taken the development team’s time and they just pushed out firmware across the line to address this. What this means is that I feel that the team is just now able to start looking at the next major upgrade for Avantis. Hopefully many of the new DLive features can make it over to Avantis, but I suspect it is still going to be a 6-9 month process and that’s if everything goes smoothly. We saw during the last major Avantis update that a late stage bug can cause months of delays.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.