Deep plugins compressors

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Deep plugins compressors

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Scott Scott 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Singtall
    Singtall
    Participant

Just wondering which compressors you favor on which channels, and which ones on a submix?

I find myself using the 16T a bunch. I tried the mighty compressor on several channels and busses and just have not bonded with it for live use. looking for suggestions…

Profile photo of Wildjb
    Wildjb
    Participant

I’ve been trying some different ones but would like to hear which compressors folks are using for different things so any suggestions would be great!

Profile photo of Dave Meadowcroft
    Dave Meadowcroft
    Participant

PL76 (1176 Clone) is my go to for nearly everything. For me, it’s the most versatile of the ones we have on the SQ.
    Opto on vocals if it’s better suited.
    16T works great on rock guitars if they’re not too bright.
    The stock compressor is really good when I just need a little compression that’s not too coloured as well.
    If I need a HUGE kick drum that’s weak at the source, then I grab the Mighty.
    Occasionally I’ll use the 16VU on Electric Bass if the PL76 isn’t quite working.

I haven’t used them on groups as I don’t use groups at all and prefer DCAs instead. Groups were needed back in the day when processing was limited (no one could afford 48 x 1176 compressors to put on inserts), but apart from specific effects, or to get things into a matrices, I personally find them of no use now we have DCAs.

If it doesn’t need any compression then I won’t use one of course!

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

Just as something to try – I often hear of Mighty being used with the Parallel Path option 🙂

Profile photo of Gregg Grey
    Gregg Grey
    Participant

@KeithJ A&H
    The Mighty with the parallel path is really amazing on Drums !!!!!!

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

16T works quite well on most sources.
    16VU bass guitar, rhythm guitars
    Opto on vocals, acoustic guitars, and other acoustic instruments (banjo, mandolin, etc)
    xx76 acoustic guitars, bass, drums
    mighty drums, or slap bass

The stock RMS compressor shouldn’t be overlooked either, it also works well most any source. I often work with dLive and Avantis as well, and would love to see the Optronik make its way to SQ, along with the source expander too of course… 😀

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.