Dedicated output channels

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD general discussions Dedicated output channels

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of GCumbee GCumbee 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Mike
    Mike
    Participant

Howdy,

I still don’t know what I’m doing. I don’t even know what terms to search for to see if this has been addressed. I sit at the GLD80 at my church. (someone else did the setup and is long gone) We have two main mixes, one to FOH, and one to the video recorder. I adjust the two mixes by choosing the blue button for the appropriate mix and adjust the relevant fader. But when I need to change something (say a backup singer has lead for a song) I need to adjust their level in both mixes.

What I’m wondering is if there is a way to have dedicated channels that go out to one mix or the other. I’ve split the input signals (thanks to people here) so I now have 2 faders for each input, side by side. I would like to be able to have Fader1 adjust Vox1-FOH, while Fader2 would adjust Vox2-rec and so on.

It seems like it would be simpler to adjust things on the fly if I could grab the two relevant faders and move them together keeping their relative spacing approximately constant. But the way it is currently set up, every time someone changes their dynamics or mic position, I need to adjust it first in one mix, then the other.

Is what I want to do possible with the GLD80?

Profile photo of litti
    litti
    Participant

Hi, I think the fastest way would be to use a stereo aux set to post-fader for the recorder, so that when you move a fader on the main mix it moves proportionally on the stereo aux

Profile photo of GSLC-Tech
    GSLC-Tech
    Participant

Just to make sure I understand. You have a fader for each vocalists and then an AUX output for FOH and one for Recording – correct? If that is the case, you should assign each of the vocalist channels to both the FOH and Recording AUX outputs. As litti says above, both FOH and Recording AUX must be post fader. Now you shouldn’t have to touch the faders for FOH or Recording and just adjust the faders of the vocalists. To be able to use the individual vocalist faders requires you to have a good gain structure.

Profile photo of Mike
    Mike
    Participant

First, to answer GSLC-Tech — Maybe. When I’ve read about this board, I’ve seen some distinction made between an AUX, and the main output mix. If that’s really just another AUX, then yes. If there’s a distinction, the way it’s set up right now is an AUX for the recording out, and the main mix for the FOH.

I should clarify. When I refer to the split inputs above, that is not our current setup. That is my ignorant attempt to come up with a solution to my problem. At this point, it’s an unused scene I’m experimenting with.

So when you say I won’t have to adjust faders for FOH or Recording, do you mean the overall level for the entire mix? I was told to just leave those at unity, and I only mess with the faders on the individual inputs, but I have to adjust each of them twice, once for each mix.

I think you are both saying I can essentially lock the levels together between the two mixes. I like that. That means when the backup singer simultaneously gets close to the mic and gets off key, I can slide one fader down and fade them out from both mixes at once?

I’m not in front of the board right now, but if they’re connected in a fixed ratio, I’m wondering how to set the relative levels to begin with, or if something changes and we want to boost an input in the recording, but not the FOH (or the opposite) how do we do that?

Thank you for your patience.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Getting too complicated.
    It’s simple. Just set the recording six mix to all POST fader. Set the master fader on that aux to 0 or some comfortable level. Now when you adjust individual channels on the main LR mix they will also adjust up or down on that aux mix. Only one fader move to adjust both.

Profile photo of Mike
    Mike
    Participant

All right. As I look at things, the recording mix is all Pre. The Main LR going to the FOH speakers is all post. So if I change everything to post, how do I setup the recording mix? Would that all be done on the dials in the routing page?

Mike

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

All you need to do is change the recording mix to post. That will follow the LR. Adjust the recording mix faders a little different to compensate for needed things that need to be less or more. But then the mixes will follow the main mix.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.