Decibel loss using groups?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Decibel loss using groups?

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Thurdeye Thurdeye 7 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Thurdeye
    Thurdeye
    Participant

Hey everyone, I run the board for a podcast network and I send all the mics to one group and all the line inputs to another group, then send the groups to LR. I notice that the groups suffer a 3-5 db loss and I’m not sure why. I have to use some compression gain to get it back to normal, which is fine, I just can’t figure out if it’s something I’m doing. Even if I take out the groups and just send to LR there’s still a db loss.

any ideas?

I attached a picture where I sent a steady tone to ch. 18 and you can see all the mixes/groups have a lower output.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

DCAs?

Thurdeye
    Participant

No I don’t use DCAs, should I be? I use groups so I can set different compression on the mics vs the line.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

No, but they are an obvious first thing to check.

Thurdeye
    Participant

I did a test with the DCA and same problem. I had to raise the fader 5db to get the same output from the original channel.

Profile photo of Mike Storm
    Mike Storm
    Participant

PAN law?
    You’ll probably find the mono sum of L and R in a group equals the level of the mono source. A stereo source would display the same meter reading as the group I suspect.

Thurdeye
    Participant

Ahh ok, thanks, that makes sense. So that would apply to the microphones too I assume?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.