DCA use on Aux mixes

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ feature suggestions DCA use on Aux mixes

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Seth Seth 8 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Seth
    Seth
    Participant

I’ve been digging around but not come across this, if it has been brought up and I missed it, my apologizes.

Is it possible to assign the DCA to affect an AUX mix in place of the L/R mix? If not can I make that ability a feature request.

We have 10 Aux on our board 9 of which are being used as monitor mixes and the 10th as a broadcast mix. The person mixing the broadcast is sitting at the physical SQ5 board and the person mixing L/R roaming the room. I would love to have the broadcast mixer be able to utilize DCAs while mixing.

Thanks.

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

@seth

The sends to the main LR are controlled by the main/master/primary fader per input or group channel.
    This fader is the fader referenced in ‘pre/post fader’ sends (and also controls group levels which can be assigned but do not have separate level control).
    DCA’s only control only this main fader.

Personally I find the concept makes more sense when you consider ‘sends on fader’ on a digital desk take the place of the aux pots you find on an analogue desk.
    DCA’s take the place of VCA’s, which controlled the fader and generally there was only one fader per channel.

For monitor applications on our larger consoles we have something related, but not the same, in the form of MCA’s, which offer relative control.
    We have no plans to change the sends/DCA workflow on the SQ, so yes, this will be considered as a suggestion post.

The only ways I can think of to work around this at the moment would be
    – Switch the outputs around, so the stream is being fed by the LR mix – though of course this moves the lack of DCA’s to the person using remote control and the stream mix may be respecting the LR mix in some way rather than having them completely separate.
    – Make use of groups – sounds like you only have 2 mixes remaining
    – Use MIDI – with a computer hooked up and something like Bome MIDI Translator, you could use a single MIDI channel strip to control multiple send levels to a specific send, the only issue being that the value would need to be absolute (which could work post fade?) or there would be quite a bit of faffing to get and calculate value variables…
    – Use a dedicated mixer for the streaming mix – having two engineers work on the same SQ at one time is (kind of) possible, though you will run into limitations, be it shared processing options, channel count, a single PAFL or controls as you’ve come across here.

Cheers,
    Keith.

Profile photo of Seth
    Seth
    Participant

I realized that I never thanked you for this it was over a year ago. My bad, Thanks @KeithJ_A&H

The work around I had found which may be useful to someone, was using the SQ4YOU app. The SQ4you app has 4 Groups/Busses baked right in. Though they do not exactly operate like a DCA on Aux sends, they accomplished what I was needing, one control to manipulate many sends to an specific Aux…

I am just getting converted over to Avantis and I am again running into this wish for this ability. I think the SQ4you app spoiled me, as I am working on setting up the monitoring apps I am wishing for functionality of the SQ4You.

SQ is such a great product! Especially the apps, the best I have worked with.

T(om)hanks,
    Seth Wiese

Profile photo of Seth
    Seth
    Participant

I pretty much just found the name of the functionality I was looking for. MCA, I did not know that was what I was looking for.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.