DCA Select on Custom Layer

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions DCA Select on Custom Layer

This topic contains 18 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of oove oove 5 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of oove
    oove
    Participant

Hi,

To fade LR and Mix3 together I created a DCA Group.
    (Mix 3 is a mono Subwoofer Channel and should act like the LR Stereo Channels.)

My problem: The Custom Layer Buttons can select all Inputs, also LR and also DCA … but just DCA is not really select by pressing such a Custom Layer Button but is showing a routing screen for DCA which I not expect in this case. I only want to select the DCA Channel to fade LR and Mix together like all other channels do.
    Of course I could touch the screen to select, but on stage I would rather have a hardware button.

Is this possible?
    Or would you go a complete another way?

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

What did you expect?
    The DCA has routing capabilities only, there is no processing possible, so the select only shows routing
    but the Fader controls the relative values for L/R and mix3 like all DCA

Profile photo of oove
    oove
    Participant

If you go to Setup Control Custom Layer, you can select all channels – including DCA.
    But DCA is the only type of channel, wich will in Channel Custom Screen not selected if you press the Costum layer button. you can only select it by touching the screen. Is this a bug?

I hope this video will clearify my concern.

Thank you very much in advance!

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

You are talking about an QU-PAC… that’s different

Profile photo of oove
    oove
    Participant

Yes QU-PAC. is that the wrong SubForum?

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

On a Qu Pac the row of green buttons can be assigned to access any control function.
    On the Q control screen you could set up a page with the DCA channel.
    Of course on the iPad QU Pad APP you can assign the DCA to any or all the custom pages.

Again a DCA is only applies level control, no processing.

Profile photo of oove
    oove
    Participant

On a Qu Pac the row of green buttons can be assigned to access any control function.

OK

On the Q control screen you could set up a page with the DCA channel.

But how can I do that?

Of course on the iPad QU Pad APP you can assign the DCA to any or all the custom pages.

I would like use only the Qu Pac

Again a DCA is only applies level control, no processing.

Yes, that wors well with me. No problem!
    The only thing – I want some hardwarebutton to select this DCA Group.

– My Setup Control looks like Pic 01
    – My Channel View (Custom) after pressing the green button 1 looks like pic 2. That is ok, because channel one is selected.
    – My Channel View (Cusom) after pressing the green button 16 should look like pic 3, DCA is selected.
    – But instead of pic 3 I see pic 4.

Is this correct?

If yes, is there another possibility to setup a multi Speaker System which can be faded with the hardware knob?

Thank you very much for help!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

It look like you got the on board custom layer/green row of select buttons set up.

To set up a Q Control page hit the Q Control button and then the function button, the set is fairly straight forward from there.

Keep in mind the only knob on the surface that can be assigned to a specific function at all times is the Alt Out Level knob below the headphone jack. The Alt Out control knob can not be assigned to any fader or DCA control.

The hardware control knob function is dependent on what menu and control function has been selected.

Profile photo of oove
    oove
    Participant

Thank you Mike. Yes, I can setup in Q Control a DCA Fader, but even in this way I would have to hit the Button “Q Control” on stagean, then I would have to touch the screen to select the DCA Fader, even when there is only that single item on the Q Control screen.

The Alt Out Knob is only for the hardware Alt Out, not for all the Mix Outs.

It seems there is no way to avoid to touch the screen on stage. I am musician and have to do all the technical job myself during a performance and I would like prepare it foolproof for me 🙂

So far I was excited by the cool programming possibilites and I am surprised now that this simple thing does not seem to work.

Thank you all anyway !!

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Do you have the system set up to use an Ipad for control or are you
    doing all of your control and mixing just using the QU Pac front panel?

There is a Q Control app that you could have on your phone that you could
    leave open and connected during a show.

Another idea would be to get a MIDI fader controller surface and set those faders
    up to control what you need them to control.

As for MIDI set up questions, someone else will need to help you there!!

Profile photo of oove
    oove
    Participant

Yes I have the app and also tried Midi. Pretty cool!
    But my setup should be simple and safe. I am sitting on stage next to the QU Pac, why should I connect another wireless touchscreen for the most simple thing .. turn the master (for all speakers together) up or down.
    I said it before – it works fine, the only problem is to switch with a BUTTON from any channel to that DCA Fader.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Sorry, ignore me – re read the first post and realised I’d answered a different question!

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

If you want to have a dedicated, easy to adjust, quick to grab control
    for your DCA your going to need a MIDI fader control set up and that
    is assuming a DCA can be assigned to a MIDI controller.

Or drop the aux fed sub set up and use the ALT OUT level knob.

How many times during a show do you adjust the overall house mix level?

Profile photo of oove
    oove
    Participant

Midi means you need an extra hardware and the app means an extra hardware plus wireless connection. That is to much only for the purpose to turn the volume.

But MarkPAman … your suggestion was absolutely great! Just routed all in group 1/2 and sended this to LR and Mix3. That Group I can be selected with a green button. … perfect

It’s a little bit of effort now – but worth to do it.

Thank you very much!

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

OK – this has got confusing!

That was what I suggested, but then realised that it didn’t allow for separate channels to send different amounts to Mix 3.

So I deleted the post – or thought I had. But you must have seen it first!

Glad it works for you.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.