DCA meter

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Stix Stix 10 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of mrabne
    mrabne
    Participant

Hi,

I do understand the difference between a DCA and a Group, so no need to explain that. I realize that the signals controlled by a DCA never actually go “through” the DCA (there is no combining amplifier). I get that. However, when I mix with Groups on a traditional analog console, I can see at a glance how much overall energy there is in my Low Drums group, my High Drums group, by BG VOX group, and so on.

I would be really nice to have the DCA meters illuminated with the level of the signal they are controlling. That way, when I am mixing and I have am on a bank/layer with my DCAs showing, I can tell the relative volume of each DCA.

Here is an example. I am mixing and I am looking at my DCA group. All of a sudden, I hear surging bass that I cannot easily identify. Is it the bass guitar? Is it one of the keyboardist’s left hands? Is it a Tom? I would like to at a glance be able to see what is being controlled by each DCA on the meter.

Kind regards,

Mark

Profile photo of Detonator
    Detonator
    Participant

1. LED ladders on each channel strip
    2. Red “peak LED” on each layer
    3. Meters screens for all inputs, outputs, etc.

-Tim T

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

The DCA LED meters were active on early iLive firmware versions but were removed due to some users requests (and confusion) – Personally I preferred when the DCA meters were active as they gave a good visual indication of the channels being controlled and helped with assignment confirmation/errors etc. A user option to have them active would be nice! That way you can turn them off for guest engineers etc to avoid confusion. As audio does not flow through a DCA metering wasn’t possible in analogue days – but it IS possible with digital mixers so why not??

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The forum ‘iLive feature suggestions’ is closed to new topics and replies.