DCA group

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions DCA group

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of gilly gilly 8 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of gilly
    gilly
    Participant

Hi guys
    I want to be able to control the level of all FOH speakers (via LR, Mtx1-4, Grp1-4) from one DCA group fader and also all the stage mnnitor speakers (via Mix1-4) from another DCA group fader, on Qu24. Fine, so i will assign LR, Mtx1-4 & Grp1-4 outputs to DCA1 and assign Mix1-4 to DCA2 and put these on custom layer. But am wondering if i say had DCA1 fader at -30db but on the normal input layer i had LR at +10dB. Would the LR out level be at +10db,-30db or -20db. So really my question boils down to which takes precedence,the normal mix, DCA or combination of both?

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Provided you’re within the limits of the desk, then it’s both., so -20dB in your example.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

They are added together – but can’t exceed 0dbFS (at least without clipping)

Profile photo of cornelius78
    cornelius78
    Participant

Also be aware that if any of the DCAs are set to -inf you won’t get any sound from any channel/mix controlled by that DCA, as -inf + x (whether x is the level of the channel/mix or another DCA controlling the same thing) still = -inf.

If you’re feeding mtxs from LR you should only apply the DCA to LR. If you apply the same DCA to LR and the mtxs and put it at +5, you’ll get +5 on LR but effectively +10 on the mtxs (+5 from the LR signal feeding the mtx + another +5 from the effective mtx fader boost.) Same rule applies if you’re feeding LR exclusively from groups: you don’t want the same DCA controlling the groups + LR.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Same with FX.

Post fade sends to, e.g., a reverb FX will be moderated by the DCA on the channel – the FX return then doesn’t need to be in the DCA, else the FX balance will shift whenever the DCA is changed.

Profile photo of gilly
    gilly
    Participant

Thanks guys for clarification ☺

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.