DCA affecting monitors

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive General Discussions DCA affecting monitors

This topic contains 26 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of pete.j pete.j 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of bolupona
    bolupona
    Participant

I’m trying to get some help. Is there a way to set up my consoles/DCAs not to affect my monitor mixes. I am mixing FOH and Monitor from FOH and I send my monitor mixes, pre-fader. But it seems like my DCAs are affecting my monitors send.
    I typically rely on mixing with DCAs for FOH.
    Is there a work around this??

Thanks.

Profile photo of tpaulding
    tpaulding
    Participant

We have the same issue/feature request. We just moved from Yamaha M7 & CL5s and used DCAs as mix groups and also house mutes while keeping things live in ears. As a work-around/new way of thinking, I did verify that I can pull the DCA faders down and get the same impact as a mute while it still keeps them live in (pre-fader) ears.

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

Are you using same channels for FOH and Mon? With dLive channel count you easily can have different channels for monitors and then DCA mute is not a problem anymore.

ddff

bolupona
    Participant

Yes I’m running using both channels for both FOH & Monitor. I have the bands on IEM, via the ME-1, which works greats since the DCA only affectss the items I’m sending to them via aux. Anything direct I’m sending isn’t affected. Ideally, I’ll like to adjust my FOH using my DCAs and not worry about it affecting the wedges on stages, which is mostly for the Pastor and Singers.
    That why I can focus on a few faders & section that having to go to my 60 or channels.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I don’t have a dLive, but it sounds like you have your mixes set to post-fader.

bolupona
    Participant

Mixes are set pre-fader.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Then that is a bug and a serious one at that. DCAs are in essence remote controls for the channel faders. They should never affect anything that is pre-fader.

tpaulding
    Participant

I spoke on the phone with A&H’s systems integration guy and he confirmed that the software was programmed that way. DCAs are mute groups in essence.

Submit feature requests!

bolupona
    Participant

Whoa! That’s a bummer. I guess I’ll request for that feature. That’s an important feature to have…

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I spoke on the phone with A&H’s systems integration guy and he confirmed that the software was programmed that way. DCAs are mute groups in essence.

If you are saying that the DCA fader affects pre-fader channel sends, then I have a hard time believing that they would do this on purpose. No console in the world works that way, analog or digital, including AFAIK all other A&H consoles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bolupona
    Participant

When you get your hands on a D-Live series, check it out for yourself.

tpaulding
    Participant

@bolupona, I have a dLIVE and the phone call I placed was in effort to find, what I assumed to be, an obvious setting somewhere to fix what I thought was wrong… no setting existed.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

@bolupona, I have a dLIVE and the phone call I placed was in effort to find, what I assumed to be, an obvious setting somewhere to fix what I thought was wrong… no setting existed.

Oh it’s definitely wrong.
    Hopefully someone from A&H will chime in to explain why this console would be built to operate differently than literally every other console in the world.
    It’s like having the faders where the top was off and bottom is max. It’s a mistake that I would expect they would have fixed before the product was released.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

Are we talking about DCA mute, that mutes whole channel, thus no signal is passed to pre-fade auxes or pre-fade aux send level is being affected by DCA fader position?

ddff

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

I think we are talking about two different things.

Reading the thread, bolupona is saying that DCA faders affect pre-fade sends. That’s incorrect. I would advise to check your pre/post settings again, these are set per channel, per aux. Press Mix on an Aux strip and you should see ‘Pre’ indicators on all channel displays. Alternatively, select the Aux and have a look at the Routing screen.

tpaulding is saying that DCA mutes affect pre-fade sends, like the channel mute does. That’s correct. It seems there is no consensus on this as some engineers prefer it the way it is, but hopefully we can make it an option in a future release.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.