DAW recording feeback

Forums Forums ME Forums ME general discussions DAW recording feeback

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of yet yet 9 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of yet
    yet
    Participant

Hi,

I want to use the Qu-16 or Qu-24 in my studio and for live :
    Using like a soundcard with Ableton live…But I’am a little bit affraid about the 16 or 24 tracks thru the usb b port (not a fw 800… or usb 3).Today, i have a fireface 800 , is it less or more the same preamp quality ??

Have u tested the stability with ableton or another DAW ? And about the latency ?

Thank for the feedback,

Yann

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

comparing an apple to a banana

I want to use the Qu-16 or Qu-24 in my studio and for live :

This statement says it all.
    It will always be hard to compare purpose built equipment to do both jobs.
    I don’t think you can?
    compare a rack built module designed for recording only to the likes of a QU desk.

16 or 24 tracks thru the usb b port (not a fw 800… or usb

I have tested 16 tracks both in (and a stereo return to ST3)and out using a PC on USB-B streaming.
    Thjat was on a Dell (XPS 502x) laptop and a (HP i5) I got that down to 128 samples and ‘low latency’ within the QU-ASIO driver.

I Found windows with the QU really responsive however still only one way midi control data and I’m using Reaper. (so
    I’m controlling laptop with midi data. (hopefully this might change in new Firmware update shortly)
    On the MAC (book pro i7 8gig 7200 RPM drive) everything just works midi both ways.
    However I found the PC more responsive
    Ive been using the GSR24m for 3 years with firewire 800. Stable as a rock!
    Now I’m looking forward to the new QU32 as a one stop shop where I don’t have to think so much about whats happening all of the time.
    Sure the QU is not going to be a GSR24m or an RME or a bla de da
    However the ease of moving this type of mixer in and out of project studios is a breeze.
    I was skeptical about USB and thought NA no way and read Firewire was the one for me. Nearly bought 2x Yamaha N12 from the US because of the signal to noise and dynamic range etc…
    https://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/KB/USB.html
    I guess its really down to your ears and budget.
    In the box out of the box mixing?
    The next level UP would be a lot of money.
    That’s my 2 cents worth on DAW Recording and now for feedback! (joke)

Just completed a theatrical show for 5 days with those stage mic’s (8 ATM650) pushed right to the max and no feed back!
    and when I got back to the guy operating the desk, he had added to the user layer I pre-made, a designated fader for the outputs controlling the volume in the foyer. Brilliant!

Hope this helped?

Buy a QU24 with subgroups

bit of a rave huh? 🙂

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Hello Mr Yet
    And here you go.

Recording mixed down in the Qu-16

Humans will find a way to record and use what ever they have to simply make music pleasant to their ears and inner being.
    When I had an old ADAT studio with a 40 channel desk I built together with 2 desks and a hand made frame,,,
    people would bring to me the cassette decks of music they had made from bouncing track to track from cassette to cassette and want me to master it.. The noise level was huge
    The point I’m trying to make here is “equipment is what it is so long as it works for you.
    We have come a long way from from those days to a beautiful piece of equipment like the QU series.
    Its specs are right up there good enough to use in studios.
    I can hardly wait the end of this month to sit the New QU32 into place where my GSR24m sits AND
    then bring up some of the projects I have been working on of which I know the QU is just so responsive with the faders flying exactly back to the place where I left them after saving that project.

Just a few of my thoughts for you
    There is a place for every type of apparatus
    I’m pretty sure I will be able to lift the new QU32 all by myself. :+)

cheers

dave NZ

Profile photo of yet
    yet
    Participant

Very thanks for the posts dhak !
    Your point of view help me ….

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.