Daw Control PANNING

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu feature suggestions Daw Control PANNING

This topic contains 12 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of jfmadeleine jfmadeleine 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of MantraSonido
    MantraSonido
    Participant

First of all I want to congratulate all of the A&H team for making such an excellent mixing desk.

Being able to use the Pan Knob to assign panning in a DAW would be super useful. This is my only suggestion until now. It’d be great to have that in a future firmware release.

Thanks.

Alejandro Lizama
    Director @ Mantra Studio, Chile.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Yes brilliant
    Thank you for bringing quality digital audio mixing at an affordable price! (clap clap clap inserted here)

To add to the request
    Please can I have the QU master fader as a midi controller to control the master fader in Reaper
    Maybe put the option in the same place as the custom layer?
    Reaper … https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiD8t-16uiI
    Thank you

Profile photo of mervaka
    mervaka
    Participant

Not the first thread on this. How would this work, though? The current DAW enabled controls are channel strip based, whereas the pan is part of the superstrip.

MantraSonido
    Participant

Well, I have tried to assign one of the EQ knobs on the superstrip to Logic X’s pan knob. It actually works but I can’t get it to control it correctly, since the rotaries are endless. Unfortunately, by doing this, I am modifying whatever EQ was previously selected before accessing the custom layer. I have not been able to assign the actual Pan knob on my QU24 desk. I does not seem to send any MIDI signal unlike te EQ knobs.

It seems the MIDI architecture was once designed and fixed and i doubt they will modify it, but who knows what they might be able to do.

Profile photo of mervaka
    mervaka
    Participant

The midi strips don’t follow the concept of channel selection, they just send button presses and releases, and respond to instructions to turn LEDs on and off.

MantraSonido
    Participant

Oh yes, they do respond to channel selection. When i select a channel strip within the custom layer, it selects the channel in my daw. Is that what you are referring to?

Profile photo of mervaka
    mervaka
    Participant

I mean within the Qu. The superstrip follows Qu channel selection.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I and I’m sure many others’ buy the QU range of mixers for live sound 1stly
    However A & H do market the QU for “in the studio” as well.
    So customers like myself will always want to get as much out of this kind of *controller* as possible.
    I mean really, they are a computer underneith, that well designed steel framed structure.
    In custom layer mode you can off course assign the faders to various controls which I have done both live and in studio environment.
    I suspect the iLive and GLD are the same?
    Going back to that custom layer mode where you can assign the faders to midi to control faders ITB (in the box) it would be an added feature in my case to be able to assign the master fader as a master fader within the software on the Mac.
    Interestingly I notice that iPad which is midi driven wireless protocol? the master fader is bi- directional. ( I might be incorrect about the midi wireless protocol and will accept being corrected)
    So I am assuming that the master fader is a midi driven fader?
    Along with Pan controls?

On saying all of this, in a studio environment, I personally use the mouse ‘all of the time’
    and that’s including on my GSR24M.
    I don’t think we will ever get away from using a mouse-less digital desk system in the studio scenario.
    And any way to help bring the best out of the QU I am all for.
    Please remember this is just discussion.
    cheers

MantraSonido
    Participant

I think the options are limitless since all of the QU programming is done via MIDI. Of course i also work with a mouse and I don’t think I will ever replace that in the studio. But panning seems such a basic function that you’d think this would be already integrated within DAW control capabilities.

Yes, this is just a discussion, but also a forum that A&H will be watching to make improvements to their firmware, all opinions count.

Cheers

Profile photo of FedaRoots
    FedaRoots
    Participant

HEY GUYS!

After a few months…haha..I could make PANNING WORK! over midi to control LOGIC’s Selected Track over my QU32.

I have attached an image that describes how i did the setup of the LEARNING MIDI ORDER on Logic’s Advanced MIDI Controlling setup. Also, you have to double check that the check box “TRACK LOCK” is not selected in your DAW CONTROL MIDI setup.

It works fine! and I can now pan my selected track on logic using QU32’s COMPRESSION KNOB (which is useless when you use the console for controlling your daw).

Hope it helps.
    FEDA

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of FedaRoots
    FedaRoots
    Participant

One important thing I forgot to mention …

The MIDI order coming out from the QU32 is being executed from the console layer (not the CUSTOM LAYER), so be aware that if you had selected TRACK #1 on the console when assigning the PAN order to the DAW, then YOU MUST SELECT TRACK#1 in the console mode BEFORE moving into the CUSTOM LAYER MODE for the pan order to work. Otherwise the DAW won’t be receiving any instruction when you move the selected super-strip knob (in my case I use the Compression knob because is the one I could make it work!).

MantraSonido
    Participant

I have successfully managed to assign qu24’s actual pan knob to logic pan control. I have attached the values for the controller assignment window. Same thing here, before entering the custom layer you must select the actual channel that contains the pan controller that was assigned in the learn mode. In my case i used channel 1. It seems that every channel sends a different message depending on the console channel that is selected. I have tried it now and it is fully functional.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of jfmadeleine
    jfmadeleine
    Participant

Hello to all I’m new to this community and I’m still struggling to make the pan knob of my Qu-32 to work in Logic Pro X after trying settings some of you posted in an attachement file . My idea here is to do some automation on the desk from the computer to basically do a MIDI TimeCode for a show I do sound for and that TimeCode/Program Change/Automation has to be in sync with the lighting desk . So basically what I want is record a show in audio (Multitrack) and MIDI data (Automation/Program Change) so both consoles are receiving MIDI information commands to run in sync .All I can assign for now are the Faders of the Qu-32 . Thanks in advance . Cheers from Canada .

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.