DAW Control Driver V1.60

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions DAW Control Driver V1.60

This topic contains 24 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Kennysergio Kennysergio 4 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Alex A&H
    Alex A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Dan,

I wouldn’t like to say it will never be possible, but there are no plans for it at the moment.

In the meantime, a way to identify the associated DAW channel would be to select it on the surface and this will then be reflected on screen for reference.

Thanks!

Alex

Profile photo of Cruise4burgers
    Cruise4burgers
    Participant

It works and it was relatively painless even for a MIDI n00b like me to get happening. I’d also love to be able to name the channels, don’t mind doing it manually on the mixer but it seems like that’s not possible at this point either?

Quite impressed though really, took about 5 minutes to set up on Cubase 5, Windows 7 and SQ5 – well done.

Profile photo of andyoz
    andyoz
    Participant

I”m really struggling getting my SQ6 and Studio One DAW talking. This bit of Keith’s description really threw me…where is that actually configured? I’m trying to add the SQ6 by ‘Adding Control Surface’ in Studio One

“…there is an option to add an MCU controller and it all works as I would expect.
    You just need to add up to 4 controllers connected to the 4 DAW Control Driver ports, then add these to the same group (by clicking the ‘placement’ button).”

Profile photo of Art
    Art
    Participant

I”m really struggling getting my SQ6 and Studio One DAW talking. This bit of Keith’s description really threw me…where is that actually configured? I’m trying to add the SQ6 by ‘Adding Control Surface’ in Studio One

Do you have the Allen & Heath DAW control software running on your Mac or PC yet? If not, you need to do that. If so, make sure that it is working following the instructions on how to test it.

Profile photo of andyoz
    andyoz
    Participant

Hi, I only just saw your reply thanks.

Yes, I have v1.6 DAW Drivers installed and managed to add the SQ as a ‘device’. I need to fire it up again and will try to describe exactly where I’m getting stumped.

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

Hi @andyoz ,

Apologies for the confusion.
    Please do let us know where you’re having an issue, but the main thing to remember is that you are connecting the SQ to the DAW Control Driver, and the DAW Control Driver to your DAW.
    i.e. Do not connect the SQ directly to your DAW, as you will only be sending CC messages.

Cheers,
    Keith.

Profile photo of Ethan
    Ethan
    Participant

We’re experimenting with this in 2 of our SQ live venues and finding the lack of MIDI channel naming to be problematic. Our intent is have the SQ MIDI faders control the volume of up to 24 channels of commercial multitracks.com content running on a DAW (Ableton Live 10 in our particular case). The DAW is sending audio to the SQ via a Dante network. The volume of the DAW tracks are adjusted in the DAW by MIDI messages coming from the SQ, and this seems to be working properly. The DAW audio has been processed in the DAW, so all we really need is volume control. Adjusting the PAN in the DAW might be nice too.

The FOH engineer’s objective is to mix the DAW audio tracks along with the live (s-Link) audio sources coming from the stage musicians, and do al the volume adjustments in the SQ. While the SQ MIDI and DAW Control Driver functionality work such that the individual track volumes that are output by the DAW can be controlled via the SQ MIDI fader strips, naming the SQ MIDI fader strips is 100% essential for this to be useful. Up to 24 channels on un-named input is really painful!

The FOH engineer wants to focus on the mix. It’s a serious distraction in a real time live mixing environment, to divert attention away from the SQ to the DAW, and have to scroll around the DAW software screen to deduce what channel being adjusted. If naming the SQ MIDI scribble strips is not in the cards, we will abandon this approach and purchase faders for the DAW and place this additional fader bank adjacent to the SQ to control the channel volumes if we can find something that has scribble strips for channel naming purposes.

Once we sort this out, we’ll start messing with things on our dLive. But we want to get the operational kinks taken care of first on our SQ’s before working on MIDI playback control in our primary venue.

Profile photo of Alex A&H
    Alex A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Ethan,

Naming data is now displayed from the DAW on the SQ MIDI strips.

Please make sure you are running the latest version of the DAW Control Driver: https://www.allen-heath.com/key-series/sq/sq-software/

I would also recommend looking at the set up notes to know which protocol to use and any DAW-specific settings that you might need to know about.

Thanks!
    Alex

Profile photo of andiabwaerts
    andiabwaerts
    Participant

Why do you di the volume change over midi in the daw?

Profile photo of Kennysergio
    Kennysergio
    Participant

maybe I’m late but I share this video tutorial

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.