DAW Control Driver V1.60

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions DAW Control Driver V1.60

This topic contains 24 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Kennysergio Kennysergio 4 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

Hi Everyone,

We have just released the new DAW Control Driver for our digital desks!
    There have been some updates in the background, but the main things you will notice is the addition of the SQ in the dropdown box when selecting your unit, and the addition of a ‘MIDI thru’ mode on the Mac version.

You can find the download on the SQ Software page here – https://www.allen-heath.com/key-series/sq/sq-software/

Enjoy!
    Keith.

Profile photo of Art
    Art
    Participant

Do we need to be on firmware 1.2.2 or will it work on 1.2.1?

Profile photo of Art
    Art
    Participant

Keith,

I tried connecting to Studio One today. I couldn’t get it to work.

I found this thread from 3 years ago stating that Studio One is not supported.

Qu DAW Control with Studio One

Is that still the case?

Thanks.

Art

Profile photo of Art
    Art
    Participant

Since Keith didn’t comment back on my question, I did connect it to Logic and it works fine. I guess it’s just Studio One that doesn’t communicate with it.

Profile photo of Alex A&H
    Alex A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Art,

Sorry for the delay in someone getting back to you!

Unfortunately, we do not test for DAW control with Studio One, however, if the software supports the Mackie or HUI protocol then it should work.

Perhaps you could start a new thread to see if anyone has got it working?

Thanks

Alex

Profile photo of TheMAXX
    TheMAXX
    Participant

Does this mean that there is some Midi enabled in the SQ mixers. And if I install this drive on my Windows computer and then hook up an Ethernet cable between an SQ6 and my computer and select “Midi thru” I will be able to send and receive commands? Or is the Mid part of the SQ mixers not enabled yet?

KeithJ A&H

Hi Art,

Apologies for the delay.
    I’ve downloaded a demo of Studio One to test with and whilst I haven’t carried out extensive testing, there is an option to add an MCU controller and it all works as I would expect.
    You just need to add up to 4 controllers connected to the 4 DAW Control Driver ports, then add these to the same group (by clicking the ‘placement’ button).

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Keith.

KeithJ A&H

Hey TheMAXX,

There are 32 MIDI channel strips available on the SQ that can be assigned in the same way as any other channel, these send out MIDI notes (from the Mute/Sel/PAFL keys) and MIDI CC messages (from the faders) over USB and via TCP/IP.
    I realise you probably know all about this, but it is covered in the current reference guide (https://www.allen-heath.com/media/SQ_ReferenceGuide_V1_2_0.pdf) from page 66.

There is no other MIDI messaging used in the SQ at the moment other than to change scenes using program change messages. If you’d like details on this, just pop us a message using support.allen-heath.com and we can run you through it. šŸ™‚

Thanks,
    Keith.

Profile photo of TheMAXX
    TheMAXX
    Participant

So I take your ā€œat the momentā€ to mean that the Midi will be enabled at some time. I am a user of Palladium a scene management software by https://www.chsounddesign.com/ and I would like to write a Mixer file for the SQ mixer so they can be used for theatrical use with Palladium. I have access to grab an SQ6 at the moment but it sounds like it isnā€™t quite ready for me to write the file for it yet. I have written mixer files for other mixers.

I also plan on going to my church and witting a mixer file for the dLive console they have there, when we can arrange a time that works for the both of us.

Palladium takes scene management to a different level. I know what can be done in the mixer but the work flow and operation of Palladium has been the answer for me for scene management for Musical Theater. I have probably written about this on here before. If you want any more information let me know and I will try to answer any questions you may have.

Profile photo of Art
    Art
    Participant

You just need to add up to 4 controllers connected to the 4 DAW Control Driver ports, then add these to the same group (by clicking the ā€˜placementā€™ button).

Keith,

Thanks. I was selecting the SQ Midi In/Out selections, not the DAW Control 1-4 selections. That’s got it now.

Art

Profile photo of y98dwatkins
    y98dwatkins
    Participant

Can anyone tell me if the midi channel scribble strips show the DAW channel names?

Dan

Profile photo of Art
    Art
    Participant

I just tried it and apparently, it does not.

Profile photo of Maxdrums
    Maxdrums
    Participant

Can we Pan control with this new driver?

Profile photo of Alex A&H
    Alex A&H
    Keymaster

Hi All,

The SQ uses the Mackie/Hui protocol for DAW Control and, unfortunately, it is not possible to control pan and name channels through the protocol with SQ.

Thanks

Alex

Profile photo of y98dwatkins
    y98dwatkins
    Participant

Hi Alex

Is it ever going to be possible for the scribble strips on the SQ to show the DAW channel names? Its of limited use to have 32 midi faders if its not immediately obvious what channel they are controlling.

Dan

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.