Dante/Virtual Soundcheck from S5000 to Avantis

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive General Discussions Dante/Virtual Soundcheck from S5000 to Avantis

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Chris Chris 2 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Chris
    Chris
    Participant

Hello, just had a question on Virtual Soundcheck and if something was possible without having to reroute all of my I/O manually.

I have an S5000 with a Dante card in it. This is connected to a MixRack DM48. The MixRack is connected via Gig Ace to an Avantis. The S5000 is being used to run FoH mixing, while the Avantis is being used as a live stream mix.
    Currently everything I want going to the Avantis is being routed through Tie Lines on the MixRack. The S5000, the MixRack and the Avantis are all installed in separate rooms and so I have to rely on networking to make all of this work.

I have been recording through the Dante card and playing back rehearsals using Virtual Soundcheck and this works great on the S5000/MixRack. However, nothing gets routed to the Avantis with Virtual Soundcheck. I have a feeling that Virtual Soundcheck is not routing the Tie Lines. Does anyone know if there is a way to force Virtual Soundcheck to reroute the Tie Lines as well, or will I just need to reroute manually and just save one scene for normal operation and one for my own playback from Dante? This is not ideal especially if I ever need to change stage input which means I will have to reroute in multiple places, but if that is what it is, then I am ok with it. Thank you for any help!

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Chris,

Virtual Soundcheck only changes the source of the Input channels on the local system (dLive in your case). The Tielines you are patching to the Avantis are taken straight from the preamp sockets, and thus don’t follow Virtual Soundcheck settings. If you were to patch Direct Outs to the Avantis, those would correctly follow the Virtual Soundcheck, however that would be less ideal for a FoH/Mon split, since Direct Outs are post Digital Trim at a minimum.

So in short, the best solution with your hardware is exactly what you suggested – create a ‘live’ Scene and a ‘virtual’ Scene that change the patch to the Avantis. Another option would be to fit an extra Dante card to the Avantis (either in addition or as a replacement to gigaACE) and have Virtual Soundcheck configured on the Avantis too.

Profile photo of Sound Guy Jeff
    Sound Guy Jeff
    Participant

Hey Chris! Yes I do this very thing. I have a similar setup with a S7000 and an SQ7 on a shared mix rack. I was wanting a way to work on the monitor mixes on the SQ via virtual soundcheck.

The answer was to create a scene on the “DLive” with Tie Line patching from my Virtual Soundcheck card (waves) to my SQ7 GigAce input card. Then just make sure that in your recall filter section that you’ve only scoped Inputs and Outputs to recall. Also make sure you have a “show” scene that will get you back out of this state quickly!

I took it a step further and have my SQ control App on a Mac at FOH. And I routed the PAFL bus of my SQ to a channel on the DLive so that I can listen into the ear mixes from FOH.

It works like a charm and I can quickly pop over to work on the mixes.

Profile photo of Chris
    Chris
    Participant

Thank you everyone for your responses. I was hoping to not have to put that much work into getting this all setup, but it will be necessary as I am lacking in the help department. At least there is a way and that is all that matters!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.