Dante Virtual Soundcard with QU32

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Dante Virtual Soundcard with QU32

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike C Mike C 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of CraigL
    CraigL
    Participant

I know that I can’t install a sound card in our QU32, but is it possible to go USB-B out to a computer running Dante Virtual Soundcard and from there go to a logic pro sessions for livestreaming and a separate waves session for Live/FOH?

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

DVS will probably be able to route your USB inputs out over the Dante network, although DVS introduces a fair amount of latency. You can visit the Audinate website and get a trial DVS license to give it a try to see if it is acceptable before actually purchasing a license.

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

@craigl

Not really… You can run Dante Virtual Soundcard and have the Qu connected via USB-B at the same time.
    On a Mac, you could create an aggregate device and combine these to send to Logic…

Do you have a Waves or Dante hardware device on the system somewhere though?

Perhaps Dante Via would be more suitable for your application (https://www.audinate.com/products/software/dante-via)

Could you describe exactly what you’re wanting to achieve?
    Is it to use the Qu to mix the room and include Waves processing and then send multichannel audio to Logic which will provide your stream mix?

Thanks,
    Keith.

Profile photo of CraigL
    CraigL
    Participant

We currently only have the QU32. I’m just looking at what my options are for what I’m trying to achieve.
    You are correct in that we want to use the Qu along waves to mix FoH while sending the multichannel audio to Logic which will mix the live stream.
    I looked at Via as well, but if I read right there was a limitation on the number of channel and it wouldn’t provide enough.

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

@craigl

OK, so you won’t get super low latency with USB-B whatever you do and adding more steps/conversion will only increase it.
    This latency will be a problem if trying to do any realtime processing, but is generally fine for delays and reverbs.
    On the other hand, latency isn’t really a problem when streaming.

I’d suggest concentrating on the shortest path for any processing external to the Qu then, and working around that.

The simplest setup might actually be to use Logic for everything, which you could do fairly easily by sending channels and mixes from your Qu to USB, then in Logic picking these up on separate channels and creating a mix from all or some of them for the stream. You could then route returns from individual Logic channels (or Logic mixes!) back to Qu input channels (sourced from USB-B) for processing you wish to include in the FOH mix.

Thanks,
    Keith.

Profile photo of CraigL
    CraigL
    Participant

I thought about this as well but wasn’t sure if it was possible to go out to multiple outputs in logic. Will give it a try. Thanks for the input.

Profile photo of CraigL
    CraigL
    Participant

Another question.
    Is it possible for instance to send channel 1 from the QU32 to logic pro for processing, effects, etc, and then send that channel from logic back to channel 1 on the Qu32? I tested this and couldn’t get to work. Logic saw the channel from QU, but when I set the output in Logic to channel 1 and change the input source on the QU to USB-B I get no signal on either end. Maybe it just doesn’t work this way and it’s my own ignorance?

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Is it possible for instance to send channel 1 from the QU32 to logic pro for processing, effects, etc, and then send that channel from logic back to channel 1 on the Qu32? I tested this and couldn’t get to work. Logic saw the channel from QU, but when I set the output in Logic to channel 1 and change the input source on the QU to USB-B I get no signal on either end. Maybe it just doesn’t work this way and it’s my own ignorance?

Not possible, a channel will only direct output what it’s input source is, you would need to bring it back in on another channel.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.