Dante Via in QU32

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu DAW integration Dante Via in QU32

This topic contains 11 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike C Mike C 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Dkmanzano
    Dkmanzano
    Participant

Hi! i’m trying to find a solution to transfer de audio data from the 32 channels of my QU32 to a computer found in a mix room relatively far from the console. Via USB i’ve already known that there is a restriction of meters, and then, searching in google i found Dante Via.

Reading manuals and other stuffs i would get to send the 32 channels from a computer connected via USB with QU32 to another computer where my mix room is located. Is that possible? The sign flow would be: QU32 —-USB A/B CABLE —> COMPUTER 1 —-DANTE VIA—-> COMPUTER MIX ROOM

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@dkmanzano

Why?
    Record on the pc near the Qu.
    sneakernet the data to the mix computer if that really needs to be in another room later

I would be hesitant to expect a relay of 32 channels from Qu to pc to other pc to be worth the effort even if it could work especially if you were trying to mix on the far pc in real time. And if not done in RT then sneaker net is far better cheaper easier than adding dante and another pc too.

Dkmanzano
    Participant

@VOLOUNTEER

Tks for your reply. This house mix is for streaming purpose, separately from the FOH mix. How can i connect the computer with sneaker out to recognize QU32 as an input in the DAW? We are using this output to an AR2412 on the stage for in ear monitors.

volounteer
    Participant

@dkmanzano

That is a pc driver & DAW problem.
    *IF* your software can do it then run the usb b to the pc and record there.
    Or if your software can mix first in RT while still receiving and also stream; then mix there and then stream it.
    If you mix like I do in a studio then sneaker-net the 32 channels when its done and then mix at leisure.

We have our FOH mix live, and we also send a separate MIX78 out , which is a stereo mix, to another pc for streaming.
    But that streamer pc is only about 8 feet from the Qu and then goes wifi to AM/FM radio and utoob live streaming.
    All the actual mixing happens in the Qu.
    We limit what we do in the livestream pc to level setting and combining A/V and encoding for streaming yada yada.
    AM/FM does have a delay built in for the livestream/OTB software and whatever those guys are doing to it first for radio.
    AFAIK The utoob feed is in RT so the video matches the mouths of the performers. Although maybe that is what the delay is for to match them up and also set levels. Never tried to watch the utoob while also in the audience to compare.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

Dante Via is not able to do what you want, only 16 channels possible

Dante Virtual Sooundcard sends upo to 64 channels over network
    but you need at least one Dante device in your network

but after all the QU series is a very cheap mixing system developed 10 years ago
    when Dante was very new and very expensive so the QU does not support Dante in any way

so I guess it would be the best way for you to get a Dante Preamp system and transfer an analogue splitted signal via Dante to the PC

volounteer
    Participant

@SteffenR

Really?

Better than just moving the PC closer to the Qu and totally avoiding the problem cost hassle and troubles with not doing all that other stuff?

Dkmanzano
    Participant

@volounteer

It would be really easy to move my streaming PC next to the console, but we dont want to do this because we are going to livemix in the box the audio from QU-32, so we will have a lot of bleed from FH, mainly the sub frequencies. Because of that we want to be far from the FOH mixer, in another room.

@Steffenr

Thanks for your reply. Considering your answaer, unfortunatly we will have to use the usb A output from the console, extending the cable at some way with active HUBs.

Guys, thanks for all your replies here. You are helping me a lot.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

unfortunatly we will have to use the usb A output from the console, extending the cable at some way with active HUBs.

this is not official supported but could work
    try to use active USB2 hubs first

volounteer
    Participant

@dkmanzano

bleed?

How do you get any bleed by having the pc next to it ?
    Are you saying you have a built in mike and do not know how to kill it?

Worst case you turn mike gain as far down as possible if you cant turn if totally off.
    then run the channels from the Qu and be sure the DAW is set with enough but minimal digital headroom.
    Depends on your pc but that was sufficient on ours. Although I think later they learned how to kill the pc mike dead.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

bleed?

How do you get any bleed by having the pc next to it ?
    Are you saying you have a built in mike and do not know how to kill it?

You missed it, the bleed he’s talking about is hearing too much of the main PA while he needs to produce the broadcast mix.

volounteer
    Participant

@mikec

I think you may have missed it.

We mix the livestream and radio broadcast while that PC is 6-8 feet from the Qu32 in the same balcony hearing it all live.

What problems do you think we should be having?

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

@volunteer

What problems do you think we should be having?

I know what problems your are having but I’ll keep the answer on topic.

Mixing for a second mix in the same room where a live mix is happening can be done
    by headphones to help isolate the “mixer” from what there hearing from the main PA.
    Unless the second mix is done with an iPad you’ll need to be switching between mix
    layers on the board while at the same time as you need to be “mixing” the main live mix.

Producing the second mix in a isolated room on a completely independent mixer lets you truly create a broadcast mix for those viewers/listeners that can be referenced to speakers closer to what they will be listening to, effects can be added as needed or not for the broadcast mix. Input channel processing and EQ can be added, changed or removed as needed for the broadcast mix. ect, ect, ect.

Granted not everyone has the luxury of having a video studio control room and or a second system and personnel to do a real time broadcast mix so it falls back to most using a post fade mix on the main board with a few tweaks to sorta of create broadcast mix, if no mix out is available it’s just a split off the main mix.

And with that I didn’t miss anything!!!!!!!!!!!!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.