Dante to Surface

Forums Forums iLive Forums iLive general discussions Dante to Surface

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Nicola A&H Nicola A&H 9 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of tophfro
    tophfro
    Participant

Hi,
    Question 1: Is it possible to use Dante as the connection between an iDR10 and 144/S surface? Even if i have to run a second network connection to the surface for all the non-audio communications between surface and mixrack.

I recently had to add another brand console to my line up to meet rider specs and some needed functionality… (it was a semi sad day, but who doesn’t love new toys). That new console uses Dante for its connection to the stage boxes.

Question 2: Most of the time the CL5 is used or strongly requested over the iLive is because of monitors and pre-configured show files. If the answer to question 1 is yes, is it possible to use Dante to connect my iLive (for FOH) and also the CL5 for monitors without any major hurdles?

When I’m running the system I much prefer the iLive but i also need to keep the customers happy, hence the CL5. I’m asking this because my current setup is an fixed format mixrack and i don’t have any Dante cards. Before i spend the money to upgrade I’d like to have a little more knowledge of the possibilities.

Thanks,
    Chris

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Chris,

Question 1: Yes, you can use Dante as the iDR10 to iLive-144 link. However please note:
    – The Dante network will need to be manually configured to support the required routing. Channels 1-32 will need to be transmitted between each device. Ch63-64 need to be routed from the MixRack to the surface for PAFL. Ch64 from the surface needs to be routed to Ch64 of the MixRack for talkback. The MixRack also needs to be set as the preferred master clock and ‘Slave to External Word Clock’ should be ticked.
    – Should you choose to bridge the AH-Net network into the Dante card for a 1-cable connection between rack and surface, make sure all components are set to compatible IP addresses and subnets. You can either set the Dante cards to static IPs compatible with the iLive, OR add a DHCP router / server and set the iLive to DHCP mode.

Question 2: Yes, but if you are using Dante as the Surface to MixRack link, you are left with only 30 Dante outputs freely assignable for a split to the CL5. You might want to add another Dante card in Port B for more flexibility.

Hope this helps.

Profile photo of tophfro
    tophfro
    Participant

Hi Nicola,
    Thanks for the information. If i end up going this route I might as well go all out and get a Dante card for the port B slot. If my thinking is correct, I should also be able to use that Dante card in port B to service my ME units via the ME-U right? (for those events when I’m not running a separate Monitor console). Would I be able to send the port B Dante to a switch and feed the ME-U and the CL5 simultaneously?

My brain is storming with all kinds of possibilities now.

My current network setup uses static IPs so that shouldn’t pose any issues.

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Would I be able to send the port B Dante to a switch and feed the ME-U and the CL5 simultaneously?

Sure. You can also set the Dante card to switched mode and use the two EtherCon ports for this.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.