Dante to Dante GLD112?

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD general discussions Dante to Dante GLD112?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Nicola A&H Nicola A&H 9 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Hello
    New to Dante and GLD
    Am I correct to think one can connect 2x GLD112 via Dante card in each GLD112 to get a digital split?
    That’s NOT using an IDR rack but simply using the AR2412 with the 2x AR84 system?

thanks
    dave NZ

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Dave,

That’s correct. If you are only interested in the digital split, 2x ACE cards would be more cost effective, and easier to set up as you don’t need computer software. Obviously Dante would give you other advantages such as compatibility with third party gear and multitrack playback / recording on a laptop.

Hope this helps.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Ok Thanks for that.
    So I still need to use a laptop to configure this?
    I looked for a setup procedure but couldn’t find one.
    Really I’m just wanting to replace the large analogue systems I have been using with out complexities.
    However wanting to use Dante for other scenarios later.
    If you could point me in the right direction with a link that would be appreciated.
    This is all because of the frustration waiting for the QU32. I know they are shipping soon.

One more question….
    Would a Dante card in the GL112 allow me to connect to an X32 if the other party or company that has that and has a Dante card in their X32. would that work for a digital split? Or is that starting to get complex because of clocking?
    I don’t quite know enough about this…..
    Only enough to get me into trouble. I know.. RTFM but I have been reading.. and I’m short of time now. My large (analogue) desks have sold and I need to fast track my scenario.

thanks

dave NZ

Profile photo of eotsskleet
    eotsskleet
    Participant

Hey dhak

here in europe – DANTE is one of the most used cards for FoH-Monitor-Split! You can connect any other DANTE-Device to it (X32 with dante as well!) Just remember, That you can’t connect the stageboxes AR2412 direct to dante! You need to connect them to a GLD-80 and then split it inside GLD with the Dante-card to another console (for example another GLD with dante card)

i would recommend you DANTE because it’s spread all over the world! (I will buy mine soon, i can use it as well for multitrack recording to a notebook!)

Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Dave, I suppose you had a look at these documents already?

DANTE

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Hi have looked at that link.
    Looked at all links.
    Checked Audinate website.
    Just can not find any examples of GLD112 to GLD112 using Dante
    There is GLD to iLive and recording however that also uses the IDR
    But I’m wanting to use AR2412 etc…
    Ok thanks for your help

dave NZ

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

I have not done this but have wanted to. I don’t have DANTE cards. It is my understanding that it is a no brainier. Just outfit the consoles and connect one to the other. The master console will set the head amps for the pres. The slave console would only have digital trim. It would be at the mercy of the master. Basically it is same setup as iLive. I don’t see why it won’t work just fine.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Ok. Thanks for answering George.
    I don’t understand the term “No brainer” :+) however I’m sure it must be a thumbs up?
    I’m starting to think the QU32 will fit into a certain market however, I will probably want just something that it wont be capable of.
    I have never really looked at the GLD with enthusiasm but now things have changed. (never say never huh)
    The only drawback I can see would be I do like having surface area, and the GLD only takes one card at a time.

Thanks

dave NZ

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

No brainer = easy.

Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

There is GLD to iLive and recording however that also uses the IDR

Dave, simply replace the iLive (iDR + Surface) in the document with a second GLD. Or see if the attached example diagram helps.

A quick setup guide (there are other options but this is what we typically recommend to start with):

PART 1 (on the mixer)
    – Set one GLD to Internal clock (Setup / Audio / Sync) – typically this is the one where most sources are plugged in, we will call this the Master GLD
    – Set the other to Slave to I/O card (Setup / Audio / Sync), we will call this the Slave GLD
    – Send the sources (typically Input sockets as they are not affected by digital trim) from the Master GLD to its I/O port out
    – On the Slave GLD, patch the I/O Port inputs to the Input Channels. You can send back your mixes to the Master GLD if needed

PART 2 (Dante Controller)
    – Set your laptop to DHCP, connect to the Master GLD only (primary port) and open up Dante Controller
    – In the Clock page, set this device to Preferred Master and Slave to Ext Clock (meaning the Dante card will take its clock from the mixer)
    – Now connect your laptop to the Control Network port and connect the two GLDs primary to primary
    – Make sure the other Dante card is NOT set to Preferred Master or Slave to Ext Clock
    – In the routing page, patch 1:1 all 64 channels from the Master GLD to the Slave GLD, and viceversa if needed

You should be ready to go. When I say it’s easier with ACE it’s because PART 1 will suffice. Dante has a network layer to set up as well (PART 2), although in a static setup this should be a one-off configuration.

Hope this helps.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.