Dante Sq

This topic contains 15 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Gyuri Gyuri 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Fabbabo
    Fabbabo
    Participant

Anyone using Dante for multitrack recording? Could you please share your experiences and tell me how reliable is? Cheers

Profile photo of GregTheGrate
    GregTheGrate
    Participant

I used it over the weekend. 16 channels to 2 computers. Worked flawlessly. I confess to having breathed a huge sigh of relief. I should have been more trusting as I used it on a smaller gig the previous weekend. So far, steady as a rock.

Profile photo of Fabbabo
    Fabbabo
    Participant

Thx Greg happy to hear 🙂
    I tried few times to do a multitrack recording on a USB drive. The results were discouraging.

Profile photo of GregTheGrate
    GregTheGrate
    Participant

Yes. 1.3 SQ drive doesn’t work. Didn’t have problems with the USB interface to my computer though. Didn’t run more than 6 channels, but it’s supposed to handle many more

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

For me the USB stuff never was a serious option. The SQ can handle 48 input at once. so the SQ-Drive with 16 tracks and the USB-B interface with 32 tracks are both not able to allow me to record all 48 inputs. I also had some troubles with the USB-B in firmware 1.1 or so as well as with the SQ-Drive with some mass storage devices without finding a reliable workflow with both. So for me it was clear that I want to go the Dante route. And after I have installed the Dante card I can work as I want it. And because the routing of Dante is far more flexible I can use for instance on PC for recording and another to play the backing tracks without leaving the digital domain. Just to mention one of the advantages of Dante.

Profile photo of Fabbabo
    Fabbabo
    Participant

It looks like Dante is the way to go. Reliability is paramount in a recording session. I cannot hope that everything will work. When I hit the red button I must be sure that all channels are there recorded in a proper way or I will lose time and clients.

Profile photo of Stretch480
    Stretch480
    Participant

Dante is def the way to go.. Been using the Card for I/O and Recording. I love the Console Network Tunneling. Very handy for using the DAW control while also running Dante.

Profile photo of Gyuri
    Gyuri
    Participant

I’ve recorded 4 live concerts by now with Dante / MacBook pro / Waves Tracks Live / 48 channels / 48kHz-24bit. Each concert had a duration of 2 hours approximately. Everything went flawlessly.

Profile photo of Fabbabo
    Fabbabo
    Participant

thanks for the replys guys I appreciate it very much 🙂

Profile photo of robashard
    robashard
    Participant

Dante multitrack for me too. Around 29 tracks, using Boomrecorder on my Mac Book Pro, with 48k locked to video too, and timecode stamped.
    Also in a 2.5 hour test I did, it phased with a second multitrack recorded on a Joeco when a track from each were out on atimeline and sent to their origin timecode.
    It all seems pretty solid.

Rob

Profile photo of Gyuri
    Gyuri
    Participant

I only forgot to say that it didn’t work with Pro Tools. PT did recognize but did not record the audio on channels 33 to 48. Anybody can help with this?

Profile photo of Stretch480
    Stretch480
    Participant

Is there a 100mbps Switch in line? Dante limits to 32×32 within a 100mbps network. 1000mbps network provides full bandwidth.

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

@gyuri
    You need PT HD to record more than 32 simultaneous channels.
    https://www.avid.com/en/pro-tools/comparison

Profile photo of Gyuri
    Gyuri
    Participant

hey Nicola, thanks for your answer but I use PT HD (named Ultimate by now)

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

What about…

Pro Tools | Ultimate software supports up to 64 channels of I/O with HD Native hardware through DigiLink, and up to 32 channels of I/O through Core Audio and ASIO

For me that means that PT do not support more than 32 inputs when using Core audio.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.