Dante routing for virtual sound check

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD general discussions Dante routing for virtual sound check

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mrvoltz Mrvoltz 7 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Mrvoltz
    Mrvoltz
    Participant

Just wondering what routing people are using with their Dante cards.
    The obvious direct out for record is straight forward enough but what else are you using? What about playback?

Dave

Profile photo of Eelke
    Eelke
    Participant

I have been experimenting with playing back the recorded tracks on the GLD. Main purpose is to crosscheck if the recording is okay by creating a simple mix. This is what I do:
    – On my recording PC, I have 32 inputs and 32 outputs Dante. All are one-to-one mapped to the GLD Dante transmitter and receivers
    – I have 2 scenes on the GLD:
    1) scene that contains the normal mapping from dSnake inputs to the GLD input channels. This is used while recording. The scene filter blocks all except the preamp and patchbay.
    2) scene that contains the mapping where the Dante input is used for the GLD input channels. This is used for playback. The scene filter blocks all except the preamp and patchbay.
    – By using the 2 scenes I can use the same channels for both recording and playback. Effects, EQ will be preserved while playing back.

Profile photo of Mrvoltz
    Mrvoltz
    Participant

Thanks for the response Eelke , I was wondering if something like that might work for a quick change back and forth. This might work for me but I also have to use scenes for the different ways my operators like to use dynamics, so other safes (scene filters)are affected.
    Anyone else have a different way they would like to share.

Profile photo of jcarter
    jcarter
    Participant

@mrvoltz: The recall filter in the scene manager tab is saved per-scene. There are global scene safes in addition to that. So the recall filters in the “record” and “playback” scenes can be totally different from any scenes you’re using to do dynamics.

Or are you safing individual channels as part of your workflow, and wondering how to get around that? You’d need to un-safe the I/O and preamp assignments in that case, which should be OK unless your operators do some really convoluted routing as part of their dynamics setups.

Profile photo of Mrvoltz
    Mrvoltz
    Participant

Still getting used to scenes and shows, I thought I had it figured out and then I find something doesn’t happen the way I thought it should.

Profile photo of David J.
    David J.
    Participant

Hi, I have a question about that. Can I record and playback any sample rate (44.1 or 48) and 16 or 24 bits? I mean, it’s possible to choose?

Thank you!

Profile photo of Mrvoltz
    Mrvoltz
    Participant

Recording is at 48k 24bit from GLD and QU mixers. I have played back a few files that I just saved as .wav and they were 44.1k 16bit. And 192k 16bit. Some obviously ripped from cd and one from an MP3 at the higher rate.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.