Dante Output

Tagged: 

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of SteffenR SteffenR 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of zman2206
    zman2206
    Participant

Newbie question.

We are setting up virtual sound check via the Dante card. The question is should we use channel outs or tie lines for the Dante output. My gut says to use the tie lines to get the raw unprocessed signal into the DAW.

Are the record outs for VSC pre-processing? Is there a best practice? Any tips?

Thanks.

G

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

I clearly suggest the tie line option…
    you want to get unprocessed audio signals to set up your system as if it where connected to the “Band”
    the only thing that is not taken into account is the preamp, since there is no input on them.

Profile photo of zman2206
    zman2206
    Participant

Thanks, that is the direction we will go.

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

You can use Tielines, but Avantis has a dedicated Virtual Soundcheck ‘Record Send’ function. This takes the signal at the same point (after the preamp, before digital trim and processing) with one difference: whereas Tielines are patched in the socket order, Virtual Soundcheck Record Sends are patched to outputs (and back to inputs) in the channel order, so if your socket->input patch is anything other than 1:1, Virtual Soundcheck will make the whole process easier. Also, it doesn’t depend on Scenes, and it overwrites the I/O patch only momentarily, meaning your original patch will stay in place.

Profile photo of oldsoul
    oldsoul
    Participant

So are you saying that best practice is NOT to use Tielines? And..what is the preferred way to set this up? Currently when i play back from my DAW the levels seem different coming back in for VSC.

SteffenR
    Participant

what is the preferred way to set this up?

as written above,
    with the Virtual Soundcheck function

level differences are normally related to the DAW not the desk

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Jt
    Jt
    Participant

Could any future explain how to properly set up virtual soundcheck?

We are only getting the stereo out of logic or reaper coming into channles 1 and 2 on the board.

We feel we have everything patched in correctly but we maybe just missing a simple step or 2.

Thansk

SteffenR
    Participant

We are only getting the stereo out of logic or reaper coming into channles 1 and 2 on the board.

Did you configured your DAW for multi track output?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.