Dante card question

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive General Discussions Dante card question

This topic contains 15 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Nicola A&H Nicola A&H 2 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous

We have been working a dLive for over a year now, and have recently invested in a Dante card (mainly for future networking expansion.) The card has been installed and we are wanting to experiment with tracking some songs/live performances. I have installed Dante Controller and DVS on my MacBook Pro (Logic Pro is the DAW software) and have made 44 “subscriptions” between the dLive and the laptop in Dante Controller.

I cannot get any audio into Dante Controller or Logic. The speaker icon shows no color when audio is passing through channels with subscriptions. It seems all is well between the laptop and Dante card, as network status shows green, etc. Am I missing something in the dLive that needs to be pressed or activated? Any help is appreciated greatly!

Thanks!

Profile photo of letmefix
    letmefix
    Participant

A few suggestions:
    Dlive output patch “direct out”-“post preamp”, and its matrix is correctly configured.
    Logic pro input channel list, accepting from DANTE network, arm the channels.
    Is there a direct network cable in between your laptop and dante card?
    Where are you located Barry?

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I am in Cleveland, Tennessee.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

And yes, a direct cable is connecting the Dante card to the laptop.

Profile photo of RS
    RS
    Participant

4 things you have to do, to make this work:

– patch outputs in dLive to the Dante card using direct outs or tie lines (there is more ways, but for multitrack recording those are the 2 to choose from)
    – start DVS with the minimum number of necessary channels
    – patch Dante channels from Dante card to DVS (computer) from within Dante Controller
    – patch inputs in your DAW

you have told us about 2 of these 4 points so far. Does Dante Controller show all network connections? Is the device info correct?
    Dante is not just plug and play until it is setup correctly…

regards

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

4 things you have to do, to make this work:

– patch outputs in dLive to the Dante card using direct outs or tie lines (there is more ways, but for multitrack recording those are the 2 to choose from)
    – start DVS with the minimum number of necessary channels
    – patch Dante channels from Dante card to DVS (computer) from within Dante Controller
    – patch inputs in your DAW

you have told us about 2 of these 4 points so far. Does Dante Controller show all network connections? Is the device info correct?
    Dante is not just plug and play until it is setup correctly…

regards

The piece missing was the patching of direct outs or tielines within the firmware. I have the rest of it put together and Dante Controller shows 44 subscriptions. Thanks much for the assistance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Profile photo of Jay
    Jay
    Participant

Glad you got it working.

Unless you have specific reasons for using direct outs or tie lines, I would try and stick with VSC (virtual sound check) record send. You can assign a sequential block of channels and easily manage the send/playback. This also means if you change an input patch the recording will follow.

If you have non-input channels, add them into the IO matrix after the VSC channels and record them (eg, L/R).

Jay

Profile photo of RS
    RS
    Participant

Have not tried the record send option yet. Thanks for the heads up.
    But this means, I have to enable “record send” before I want to record? So one more button to think of?

Profile photo of Jay
    Jay
    Participant

RS,

You can leave “record send” active all the time, just reset it when you repatch inputs in that block to pick up the change (I don’t think this has been addressed yet).

My system is out on a different show each time, so I look at this as 60 _less_ buttons to press. Select the block of channels you want to record and enable “record send” – what you don’t have to do is map direct outs or tie lines for each individual input channel, and with tie lines you have to remember to reassign them if you change the input. I do map L/R/C/Sub and other final mixes to also capture them, which has to be done separately.

Most of my recording is actually done via a Waves interface @ 96k and it isn’t unusual to record 60-80 channels at once. Works beautifully.

Jay

Profile photo of RS
    RS
    Participant

Where do you map outputs eg L/R or a record Matrix to the “record sends”?
    Couldn’t find that and thought this was a limitation?

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I used the VSC Record send button and it works just fine. Doing the soft patching in Dante Controller allowed the inputs to come to the DAW in the order I wanted, so Logic Pro input patching was one-for-one.

So I take it that outputs can be mapped along with the VSC “batch” simultaneously? I would like to learn more, please.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

I/O > Outputs > I/O Port#
    I/O Port# has to be the port the Dante Card is located

Profile photo of RS
    RS
    Participant

Jay,
    I have re-thought and tested your remarks on record-send mode.

As my recorded channels are not the same as the ones used for virtual soundcheck, this options seems not to work for me.
    Unless I still have not understood the “concept”. What is likely as I still don’t get your sentence “If you have non-input channels, add them into the IO matrix after the VSC channels and record them (eg, L/R)”.
    Where in what I/O Matrix are these channels to be added?

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

If you have to do non diagonal patch, I suggest to create 2 scenes just with patch. Or make non diagonal patch in Dante controller and save as config.

Profile photo of Jt
    Jt
    Participant

So with record send, I’m finding that in Logic I have really no control of the input.

If I put a gain Plugin on the channel, and add or reduce the gain nothing changes, am I missing something?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.