Dante and clocking

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Dante and clocking

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Bracumba Bracumba 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Bracumba
    Bracumba
    Participant

Allow me a question , I just can’t get totally clear, even with all the info on internet. I understand that Dante is a clever system, chosing the best clock available by itself, and dynamicly changes it if nescerary. You cán check a box (or more), to make for instance FOH mixer ‘preferred master’. Clear up to now.

But the mixer itself is not clear for me. Should this be kept to internal ? What If one connects two mixers via Dante. What Dante does is clear. But now is it still nescerary to set one mixer to internal (on the mixer itself, not in Dante Controller), and the other , also on the mixer itsel to slave (If possible). Or should both mixers be left to ‘internal’ and only let Dante figure it out.

Can someone clarify this for me please.
    Thank you !

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Bracumba,

Two methods. Either of these would work fine.

– First the recommended one: set one mixer to Internal. Set its Dante card to ‘preferred master’ and ‘enable sync to ext’ in Dante Controller (this second option means Dante will take the clock from the mixer). You only want one mixer as the master clock. Any other mixer or third party device in the same network should be set to sync from the I/O Port, with no option ticked in Dante Controller.

– In larger networks with several mixers and third party devices, it might be preferable to let Dante manage its own clock as you say. In this case, make sure ALL mixers and third party devices are set to sync from Dante (I/O Port). Do not tick the ‘enable sync to ext’ option in Dante Controller.

Bracumba
    Participant

Thank you so much. Very clear advice, which will be followed :). I understand that Dante is capable of dynamicly changing where it can get a stable clock from. You describe two methodes. In the second method I can imagine that Dante is able to pull of this magic. But in the first it looks like you force the system to take the internel clock of one mixer. In case of an issue with the clock, there would be no plan B ? Am I right in assuming things work like this, and if so; assuming that the second method is more ‘safe’ ?

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

The only case where method one would fail is if the mixer fails (or the Dante connection to the mixer). In this scenario, Dante would still switch to and elect another clock master in the network, so all other devices would be fine.

The reason I recommend method one is that I like using a known, high quality, stable clock as my reference. With method two, any clock on the Dante network could be elected master, with the clock quality depending on the VCO used in different Dante chips or third party implementations. Method one is also preferred when connecting a mixer directly to a laptop running Dante Virtual Soundcard.

Bracumba
    Participant

And again, thanks so much for your time and trouble. Highly apreciated. Not only the Allen & Heath products are of a very high level of beauty and usefulness, this kind of help/service makes clear that you as a company are commited to helping create the best possible music, through the use of your products. I am a happy SQ user (learning and discovering every day. With still some things on my personal ‘wish-list’ though 😉 )

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.