D-Live vs Q-Lab (Midi)

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive troubleshooting D-Live vs Q-Lab (Midi)

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Jonny Jonny 6 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Roel88
    Roel88
    Participant

Hi Guys,

Since this week I’m the owner of a C3500/CDM48 setup, and its amazing! But there is one thing I can’t figure out.

Because I’m going to use the setup in theatre shows, I really need a good midi connection between the surface and Qlab. I know the basics in midi programming, but not the HEX part.

I already managed to program soft keys for Qlab triggers, so I can trigger a Que from the C3500 surface.

My problem is the other way around…I want to program a MidiQue in Qlab, witch recalls a specific scene in the DLive. I think it should be a SysEx message, but when I choose that option, my MidiQue immediately gets a red cross.

Who can help me out…I already looked in the GLD/DLive Midi protocol pages…but I really don’t know witch code I have to put on witch place…

Thanks in advance!
    Roel

Profile photo of RayS
    RayS
    Participant

All you need to do is map a midi program change from Qlab’s midi window

RayS

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Jonny
    Jonny
    Participant

How is your set up done? i’m trying to do the same with our s7000 fireing qlab and i’m a little out of my depth with it all, could you offer any assistance?

cheers

Jonny

Profile photo of RayS
    RayS
    Participant

You need to install the A&H tcp midi driver https://www.allen-heath.com/dlive-s-class/software/ launch it on your mac..

Use that as Qlab,s midi patch…make sure your computer and the dlive are on the same network….i also use midi monitor to sample what midi msgs are sent and received to and from the mac.https://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/……program changes in Qlab will recall scenes from dlive…ex” program change #60 in Qlab will recall scene 61 in dlive etc…) I usually leave things on midi channel 1 in Qlab…. If you want to do it the other way around that is trigger Qlab Cues with a scene change from the dlive, assign a midi trigger to the cue in Qlab you can select capture to “capture” whatever midi command you are sending from dlive so you don’t have to guess which msgs are being sent…

hope this helps

Ray

Profile photo of Jonny
    Jonny
    Participant

well i think i’ve got everything connected right, would you be able to help me with the following queries?

what network port are you using from the back of the desk?
    have you or are you able to assign on of the soft keys as triggers? ie go stop move up/down etc
    does the midi driver launch an application or is it just there so to speak?

i’m sure i’ll have more questions¬

Jonny

Profile photo of RayS
    RayS
    Participant

Hey Jonny, for a wireless network, any port on the mixrack or surface can hook up to your router (i prefer mixrack just in case you lose connection with the surface I’d still have control ipad or director etc..)….the midi driver will allow you to send midi on a network port between the Dlive/Mac, if you want Qlab to recognize the messages you need to launch it on your mac and select it as midi patch in Qlab workspace settings. You can program your softkeys any way you want…

Ray

Profile photo of Roel88
    Roel88
    Participant

Hey Jonny,

To Trigger Qlab with your softkeys:
    – Connect Laptop to your S7000 via the network port
    – Instal TCP midi driver (connect with the mixer in the driver window, surface should be 192.168.1.70)
    – Assign a soft key with a CUSTOM MIDI. (https://www.allen-heath.com/media/GLD-MIDI-and-TCPIP-Protocol-V1.4_2.pdf This a PDF sheet with the TPC midi protocols for the GLD series, these are the same on D-Live)

Found with a colleague the midi string: 91,00,F7

This gives sends out a midi note…For more notes, use ‘91,01,F7’ , ‘91,02,F7’ and so on

In Qlab, go to workspace settings -> Midi Controls. U have to use the musical midi controls. Now you can capture the midi note. If it’s not working, try another midi channel. It took some time for me to work everything out.

Hope you can work it out.

Profile photo of RayS
    RayS
    Participant

here’s a link to Qlab’s specific midi trigger function: https://figure53.com/docs/qlab/v4/control/using-midi-to-control-qlab/

Ray

Profile photo of Jonny
    Jonny
    Participant

so to check would ‘91,02,F7’ be the command i type into the soft keys press and release on the Dlive or is there more to the code. I’m determined to get to grips with this!

Jonny

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.