Custom Layer Thread

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Custom Layer Thread

This topic contains 21 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 9 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous

This is the start of a new thread, [ a bit like a library] hopefully helping others and giving tips on setting up CUSTOM LAYER on the QU series, both simple and more complex.
    Newbies welcome!
    I’m interested in the different ways operators use the Custom layer.
    Look forward to all comments.
    cheers.

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

Thanks dhak,
    I will begin with my favorite way to use the custom layer…

So many times throughout the gig, I want to change the volume of the delay that is commonly used with vocals and some brass instruments. I don’t like having to constantly switch to the second layer to get to the delay fader (efx return) so I set up the custom layer with the delay in one of the channels that is not used from the stage.

On a slightly different topic, I have two mute groups that are named VERB and another one named DELAY. When either of these mutes is pressed, the input to the effect is muted, allowing the tail of the reverb and or delay to finish and not get chopped off.

I love that Allen & Heath went to the effort to give us Qusers a “custom” layer,, how cool is that?

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Great dpdan.
    Thanks for getting this going.
    I set up with bands [now] a similar setup.
    When I first got the QU I was petrified about flipping layers!
    That whole idea about layers was just not how I thought about using mixers. And of course I had to carry on with my jobs so I thought gosh .. how am I going to handle this?
    So my real first “paying job” in a small theater I did this to a mixer.
    I have been so used to scanning large desks with my eyes … however I’m now getting used to fader flip.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

I do two main things:
    – bring only one of any stereo instrument (keys etc) to the custom layer
    – use a DCA for ‘larger’ instruments (like a drum kit)

That then allows me to shift those all to the left and bring in FX returns and/or stereo inputs, DCAs etc.

Allows almost everything to do with live mixing on the one (custom) layer.

It also allows me to swap the order of faders, if two vocalists change positions (my OCD self requires faders to be in the same order as artists on stage, for instrument types at any rate, particularly for vocalists)

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

YES Ditto! OCD
    Nothing worse than mics set up backwards because a new guy has set the stage and the show is about to roll! !@#$%^&*& argh! cringe!

my OCD self requires faders to be in the same order as artists on stage

So would you swap channels in the middle of a performance?
    I guess if the channels are right next to each other, then between songs you could?
    I mean, you have to scroll through? Unless you can copy paste? I haven’t tried that in Custom layer?

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

I just assign them in the custom layer, performers tend not to swap places on stage.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

@dhak I always try to label *above* the faders, then I can still see the labels whilst I am mixing.
    I like the different colour faders though πŸ˜‰

Profile photo of DrDave
    DrDave
    Participant

In a church with a range of skill levels and needs, from simple speech to a full band with monitors, I concentrated first on making it as easy and foolproof as possible for the basic users, who get access only to their custom layer.
    To make room for 4 DCAs (and FX returns) on the custom layer scene for standard users, the drum parts (and the recording/ambient mic) are only accessible from the inputs layer. Things are otherwise in the same place on each layer, to avoid labeling confusion, and the labels are repeated on the AB168 stage boxes. Standard users can do most setup and mixing on the custom layer as well, resorting to the inputs layer only for the drums setup, and to the mix layers for setting up monitors. There seems to be no need to access the aux inputs and outputs layer.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of audiokla
    audiokla
    Participant

sorry, silly question.
    How do you plug in two lamps in your QU24?
    Greetings from Germany

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

You don’t, but the 32 has two lamp ports.

Profile photo of audiokla
    audiokla
    Participant

oh shit.
    It’s an 32 in the Picture. Sorry

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

I had to double check πŸ˜‰

Profile photo of funkcity
    funkcity
    Participant

The mixer’s Custom Layer is not on the Qu-Pad
    The Qu-Pad should have an option to exactly mirror the mixer’s custom layer.

Also,
    The Qu-Pad Custom layers are only 8 wide (16 is preferred)

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

The QuPad layers are as wide as you like (well, not quite, here is a limit)

Just scroll sideways…

Profile photo of funkcity
    funkcity
    Participant

You are right…even in demo mode.
    Why did I not see that? πŸ™‚
    Thanks

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.