Cubase recording question

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Cubase recording question

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of whatsoup whatsoup 4 years ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of firebols
    firebols
    Participant

Hello everyone,
    Please help me with simple problem – in Cubase 10 i can not make record on any chanel. I choose “Chanel 1” and SQ ASIO Driver, I can hear it but can not record. I think I make some mistake with routing, but which one? Thank you in advance

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

if you can hear it (see it) inside of Cubase you can record it

firebols
    Participant

I think I can hear it through kind of “sum” input, not through “channel to channel”. Thats why I can not find input signal on individual input channel. It’s very disappointing that SQ5 manual dedicated only one page to computer recording.

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@firebols

true

AH manuals are terse with minimal explanation

SteffenR
    Participant

so again, can you hear it in Cubase? If yes then you can record it…
    if only sum input is going to Cubase then you did not configure your Cubase at all…

Wich input busses are present in Cubase?

Profile photo of Søren Steinmetz
    Søren Steinmetz
    Participant

Another issue could be:
    Have you patched the I/O for the inputs to the USB channels ?

firebols
    Participant

Søren Steinmetz, thank you! You help me a lot. I just wonder why this patching was not strait “out of the box”. Sorry for stupid questions, it’s my first “real” mixer, usually I use I/O card special for computer recording.

And one more interesting thing. I have channel strip level 0, master at 0, output level indicate peaks close to 0, audio main output close 0 (= “big knobe” mackie input) but usb input peaks at -12 (in both cubase and samplitude). I can set “direct out” of a channel to +10, but it seems strange to me. And I’m not sure that it will be correct. Because may be somewhere in SQ I lower signal and then raise it back in “direct out”.

SteffenR
    Participant

I’m sorry… but how about learn something else…

ever heard about referenz level, headroom and gain structure?

https://www.minidsp.com/applications/dsp-basics/gain-structure-101

firebols
    Participant

Steffen R, thank you for that link. Yes, I forgot about the difference between analog and digital level. I did not have this problem with my old Tascam FW1884 for last 15 years, because it was for computer recording and already had scale only up to zero.
    Thanks to everyone for the help!

Nice community by the way

Profile photo of whatsoup
    whatsoup
    Participant

sounds like what Søren Steinmetz said, and you’ll need to patch the USB outs to their respective channels. I was in a similar position to you and it took me a long time to get my head around the patching, but stick at it.

in the IO section I assign my outs (USB) as the same as the inpits. For example local input 1 (audio cable in the back) is set to USB 1 in outputs> USB tab> IP direct outs.

What you may need to do first is set what is mono and stero in the mixer config. Set up button > mixer config > input stereo tab. Match these with your devices. If local input 1 and 2 are for the same instrument then set it stereo, or mono if not.

Now match those previous usb ports you set it outs on your inputs in your DAW. make sure the record button (arm) is on the DAW channel or you might not see the audio coming in

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.