Creating a duplicate channel

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ feature suggestions Creating a duplicate channel

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Strasburg Strasburg 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Vikser
    Vikser
    Participant

Anyone knows if it is possible to duplicate input channels using same input source? As an example, Bass guitar would be plunged in on channel 1 then digitally split to fader 1 and 2 simultaneously. Fader 1 would be used for FOH main mix and fader 2 for in-ears or live stream. I would like to use different processing (eq or compression) on these channels. I was able to do this on X32 before.

Profile photo of Søren Steinmetz
    Søren Steinmetz
    Participant

Just patch the IP to all the processing channels you need it to be on.

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

Hi Vikser,

In addition to Søren’s comment, once patched, you can either copy and paste input processing by whole channel or individual processing ‘blocks’, or use ganging to match some or all processing across the two channels. Then it’s just a case of routing each channel where you need it (and unassigning each from places they don’t need to go!).

Something to note is that ‘gain’ controls the preamp at the socket, and ‘trim’ is part of the channel processing. Double patching an input socket to two input processing channels therefore means both will show the same gain value (as they’re looking at the same input socket), but will have independent trim.

I notice you added ‘Tie Lines’ to the tags by the way – these are used for routing input sockets directly to output destinations, and so have nothing to do with input or mix processing channels. One way to think about this is that tie lines are like a patch cable (no EQ, no dynamics, no level, no mixing).

Cheers,
    Keith.

Profile photo of Chan
    Chan
    Participant

Can someone please walk me through how to duplicate a channel? I need to do this for a gig tonight, and I’m a novice on the sq 5
    Thanks in advance!

Profile photo of nottooloud
    nottooloud
    Participant

@chan

Super easy. The first example in this video will get you there. Make the Source Select in your duplicate match the original channel.

SQ patching video

Profile photo of Strasburg
    Strasburg
    Participant

I have a QLXD wireless guitar system and I want to use it for my acoustic and electric guitar. (Obviously not at the same time.)

Since it is one physical input to the socket on the SQ5, would this be the logical way to have a separate fader for each guitar?

Say I have input socket 5 coming from the QLXD receiver into the SQ. I route that to fader 5 (acoustic) and 6 (electric) so I can have different EQ and effects.

When I finish a song on the acoustic and grab the electric I pot 5 down and unplug the acoustic and plug the electric in and then bring fader 6 up.

Does this make the most sense or should I be using auxes or something?

Thanks.

Profile photo of nottooloud
    nottooloud
    Participant

When I finish a song on the acoustic and grab the electric I pot 5 down and unplug the acoustic and plug the electric in and then bring fader 6 up.

Other than suggesting you mute instead of potting down, so you kill it in the monitors and everywhere, that’s exactly what I would do.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

just to explain the basics again…

a strip represents the control elements of a channel and has a fader, MUTE button, SEL button and PAFL button.
    the function that a strip has is defined with the channel it is attached to it
    this could be an input channel, aux channel, fx channel(FX return), group channel, main, matrix, MIDI strip and a DCA strip

then you have the patch-bay… (I/O Patch screen)
    it is the part where all your connections are handled…

on the upper section you have the tabs with your sockets,
    located on

the back of the console,
      on S-Link devices (GX stage-box, DX Expanders or AB/AR stage-boxes),
      on both USB ports
      the I/O port (Dante, Waves, DX, GX)

the left section represents all your possible connections to the processing section of the mixer… input channles, mix external ins on the inputs tab
    and all configured outputs on the output tab…

which signal is running through a channel is defined in the patch bay and here it is possible to freely patch all sockets to all available inputs

so to have one input on more channels is easyly possible and it’s also possible to have one output (mix, master, matrix) on more sockets…

Tie lines are special connections that not use the processing section of the console at all… they only use the “sockets”
    you can patch an mic input on stage located in a GX-4816 to a XLR socket on the back of the desk and to a Dante recorder, or whatever you think it’s useful…

Strasburg
    Participant

nottooloud: Ah, that’s a good point. Otherwise it would also probably still be going to the effects from the other strip, etc.

SteffenR: Thank you for that detail. It’s helpful in my journey to learn all the correct terms for things. I got it patched and now I’ll play around with it to see if it is working correctly.

I love the SQ. It’s an incredibly powerful tool. It is a bit overwhelming though. I have the manual next to me and I’ve watched a bunch of videos and of course this forum and the facebook groups are invaluable. Prior to now I was using the wireless for one guitar and a direct box and cables for the other. It hadn’t dawned on me that this would be a way to use one input for two different configurations and allow me to quickly switch.

Thank you all!

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

It hadn’t dawned on me that this would be a way to use one input for two different configurations and allow me to quickly switch.

make sure your levels match on the wireless too…
    otherwise your sound could be unexpected different…
    small amounts of level mismatch get corrected easily with the trim in one channel

Strasburg
    Participant

SteffenR: Thanks. I will make sure they match. I will also add a 3rd strip for my Beta58 wireless mic transmitter which uses the same receiver. There are times when you have someone who wants to make announcements. I can just mute all three strips, turn the guitar pack off and turn the Beta58 transmitter on and unmute that strip. (I don’t use the 58 to sing since I got a Heil PR35 and quickly fell in love with that mic.)

My guitar teacher is going to come to my house and help me dial in the eq, effects and compression for my vocals and guitars. He’s hasn’t used a digital mixer before but has been playing and mixing bands for decades. That experience is invaluable.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.