Create Mains subgroup for additional speakers

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD general discussions Create Mains subgroup for additional speakers

This topic contains 15 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Chris93 Chris93 9 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Tallygeek
    Tallygeek
    Participant

We have a set of speakers near the back of house that run as a separate signal from the mains. I would like to be able to set these to run as a subgroup of the mains if possible. In other words, I would like for them to have the same mix and everything as the mains but I would like for them to only run at a certain % of the volume for them. Is this possible? We have a GLD-112.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Yes. You can do a Matrix and target it to the mains then set level where you want. Just set an output socket to be that matrix to feed the power amp for the speakers. You can also create an Aux to do the same thing. You can make it post faders to follow your mix. I am doing that with a 112 now for under balcony speakers. But setting it up for only certain inputs to go to them. Mainly voice mics. No band. Plenty of band in house already.

Profile photo of MikeShand
    MikeShand
    Participant

Yes, run them from a matrix fed from LR.
    (Sorry George, posts crossed.)

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

NP Mike. Another method. You can reconfigure the console as a LCR or LR+M or M sum. Gives you another output that follows the mains. One of those allows you to turn off/on channels you want in that output. Can’t remember which. Just set its level to suit. Go to configure and choose from the drop down menu at the bottom. This is of course if your rears are mono. If stereo I would stick with a matrix.

Profile photo of JLD
    JLD
    Participant

The level in a Matrix follows all changes of the LR master fader, no need for the matrix to be adjusted. You can set it and forget it, hide in a layer seldom used.
    M or Aux require that all channels are routed to them as well as LR. Increased flexebility but one more thing to remember as well as an additional fader on the surface may be needed.

Dont forget to adjust the delay for the distance.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Agreed, just wanted to let him know options/flexibility available.

Tallygeek
    Participant

Ok, just to see if I have this straight. I set the output on my dsnake to Stereo Matrix and I set the Aux to Stereo Matrix as we’ll? Sorry, I am Very new to a digital board. It has been a huge learning curve for me.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

You must have a matrix setup in your configuration first. Then drag a matrix into a bank. Preferably Bank 3 Layer D. Set level low to start till you adjust gain structure.

Go to I/O screen. If you are taking the feed from the stage box go to output side and setup a socket to be that matrix. Then the matrix you have done should show up there to go to your power amp or powered speakers. Adjust levels as needed.

At this point you don’t need to worry about Auxes. Just the matrix

Hope that helps.

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

This is how I normally feed the PA anyway. Do as GCumbee says (where on the surface you put the matrix doesn’t matter but you won’t need to adjust it often so there’s no need to put it in a “prime location”) and then press the “MIX” button on the matrix master and turn up the LR to “0”. This is the same concept as turning up a channel in an aux, but you’re turning up a mix (the LR) in a matrix.

Press “Mix” on LR to go back to that (or re-press “Mix” on the matrix) and then turn up the matrix master to an appropriate level.

Chris

Tallygeek
    Participant

In the I/O panel for the output section, the only option for matrix I have are stereo matrix and mono matrix. I have mono selected. Those outputs are going to my amp. I have channels Mtx 1 and 2 are set to mono matrix in the source select screen. It is not working with this setting. I do have the LR set in the mix for each mtx.

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

Can you post your show file here?

Did you hit “apply” after setting up the output patch?

Chris

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Did you click mix on the Matrix then go to LR main and hold assign and press mix on LR. That turns on the LR to the Matrix.

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

Make sure that the matrix you turned up the LR in is the same one you have patched to the output sockets.

EDIT: Excellent point by George 🙂

Chris

Tallygeek
    Participant

OK, sorry I’m just now getting back to this. I have been out of town all week. OK, here are my settings.

I/O
    Output #8 is set to Stereo Matrix 1L
    Output #9 is set to Stereo Matrix 1R

MTX 1 & 2 has mix of Main set to 0

I still don’t seem to be getting and audio to the back speakers.

Tallygeek
    Participant

I changed the I/Os to Mono Matrix 1&2 and that seems to work.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.