Crackling noise on all instruments after firmware update

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Crackling noise on all instruments after firmware update

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of ljefe ljefe 8 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Richee
    Richee
    Participant

Hi guys
    After updating the firmware on our QU16 to 1.8 we have a crackling noise like an old vinyl record on all instruments when played through the PA system yet it is silent when no instruments or sound are being played.I’ve checked all the leads and XLR cables on the stage as the desk and PA are brand new and all the gear/leads etc are new.
    Everything worked and sounded okay prior to the firmware update..
    Tonight we also heard a loud click coming through all channels randomly
    I’m just wondering if the firmware update has changed any settings on the desk ?
    Any advice would be great thanks Richee

Profile photo of jonnyweston
    jonnyweston
    Participant

I experienced this today myself – lasted only for about 2 seconds with only one open channel.

Sounded exactly like a vinyl recording scratchyness… great description.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Hmm, had something a bit similar at a gig yesterday – turns out there was a loose cable on one of the venue supplied bits of FOH…

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

sounds like an internal sample rate clock issue to me, something the user can do nothing about other than having the unit replaced.

Profile photo of ljefe
    ljefe
    Participant

Any further information about the crackling? @Richee and jonnyweston- have either of you had continuing problems? Or did you find a culprit or solution for the noise?

Still waiting to install the 1.8 update…

Profile photo of Richee
    Richee
    Participant

Hi I have put our desk back onto 1.73 firmware for now
    The only other thing I have done which did stop the noise was the desk was plugged into a power surge protector trailing socket so I’ve taken it out and plugged it directly into the mains.
    I didn’t check it after doing this on firmware 1.8 I had already rolled it back to 1.73
    I haven’t had any problems since so whether it was the surge protector or the new firmware or a combination I’m not sure
    I will update the desk when the next firmware update comes out

Profile photo of ljefe
    ljefe
    Participant

Thanks for the response, Richee. I think I’ll wait until the next update to install the firmware, I’m in the middle of a project right now and I like to be cautious.

Profile photo of sonic
    sonic
    Participant

Same Problem

Profile photo of Richee
    Richee
    Participant

Just quick response I’ve spoken to A&H technical as it was cracking and popping intermittently on any version of firmware and our QU16 needs to be returned they think it may be a power supply or dsp problem whatever it is they said it definitely needs to go back to them for repair or replacement hope this helps

Profile photo of ljefe
    ljefe
    Participant

Thanks for that, Richee. I think I’ll update to 1.82 today.
    I appreciate that you took the time to come back to the thread and posted to let us know what was going on. Cheers.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.